The three murals in the Board Chambers were completed by Jean Goodwin and Arthur Ames in 1939. Commissioned by the WPA, they were painted in egg tempura on muslin over a gesso surface. The artists were assisted by Alloys Bohner, William McAulby, and Hazel Scheckler. Left to right, the panels represent three aspects of life in San Diego County - Recreation, Agriculture and Conservation.
Watch a video about the history of the murals in the Board Chamber.
Location: Murals - County Administration Center, 1600 Pacific Highway, 3rd Floor, Room 310, Board Chamber.
Artisans: Alloys Bohner, William McAulby, Hazel Scheckler
The works below are thought to be studies for the much larger murals above. These works are on display at the County Administration Center, 1600 Pacific Highway, 4th Floor, Conference Room 402a.