To promote value comparison and fair competition in the marketplace by preserving, maintaining and utilizing our standards of measurement in the United States.
THE THIRD MAN
In a business transaction when merchandise is purchased by weight or measurement, the Weights and Measures inspector is the “third man”, protecting the buyer and the seller. Weights and Measures functions include the testing of all commercially used scales and meters, supported by our device registration program
Other jurisdictional responsibilities include the quality and advertisement of petroleum products, weighmaster enforcement, package inspections to verify net content statements, and price verification, aided by our POS registration program. Read about the history of Weights and Measures in San Diego County.
PROGRAMS WITHIN WEIGHTS AND MEASURES:
Scales and Meters
Device and POS Registration required for businesses with commercial scales and meters in use and/or businesses using automated point-of-sale systems
Packaging, Labeling and Sales
Service Agents (Device Repairmen)
- California Department of Food and Agriculture, Division of Measurement Standards (DMS)
- DMS Kid’s Page
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
- NIST Kid’s Page
- National Conference on Weights & Measures (NCWM)
- Western Weights & Measures Association
- ASTM International American Society for Testing and Materials