COMMUNITY EVENTS IN SAN DIEGO COUNTY:
- PRESENTATION: Community Event Permit Process
- What is a Community Event?
- Community Event Permits
- Completing an Electronic CEP Application
- CEP Application & Supporting Documents
|What is a Community Event?|
A Community Event is defined as a public event occurring in an
of San Diego County, sponsored by a bona fide California recognized
nonprofit organization or a governmental organization, and planned for
a time period of more than four (4) hours, but less than four (4)
days. A community event permit (CEP) is different from a temporary
event permit. If your event is less than 4 hours, you do not qualify
to utilize the CEP process, but this does not exempt you from
possibly having to obtain all necessary permits for your event to take
If your event is less than 4 hours, contact the Sheriff's Licensing Division (858) 974-2121 to learn if any permits are required for your event.
|Community Event Permits (CEP)|
A Community Event Permit (CEP) is a written approval from the County of San Diego to operate a community event. The Department of Environmental Health (DEH) serves as the coordinator for all Community Event permits and coordinates with other County agencies during the permitting and approval process.
If the event includes the sale of alcohol, the sponsor must apply to
DEH prior to obtaining the ABC license.
Also, please note that a non-profit organization shall be entitled to conduct a maximum of 6 community events within a 12 month period. Food vendors operating at these events must obtain a separate Temporary Food Facility permit for each event. The CEP organizer must submit a completed application to DEH no less than thirty (30) days or more than one (1) year prior to the event.
Community Events: (858) 694-3614
Community Events e-mail: DEHCommunityEvents@sdcounty.ca.gov
Events Fax: (858) 505-6998
FHD Duty Specialist: (858) 505-6900
FHD Duty e-mail: email@example.com
|Completing an Electronic CEP Application|
A CEP Application can be obtained online, filled out via Microsoft
Office - Word, then submitted via e-mail.
E-mailing your application allows for faster routing and may expedite the processing of your permit. If you need to fax your application, please attention forms to CEP coordinator (858) 505-6998.
Per SDCC Sec. 21.203 - An application must be submitted at least 30 days before the first day of the proposed event to allow for adequate processing time and review. Failure to provide a complete application package on time will not allow for a Community Event Permit to be issued.
Important points to remember when completing an online application:
- You must have Microsoft Office - Word or a program that can open .doc or .docx files.
- Click the CEP Application link below and save the file. Re-open the application in Microsoft Word.
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE REQUIRED WITH YOUR APPLICATION:
- California Non-Profit Entity Number (CHECK HERE)
- Event site map with the following clearly depicted
(hand drawn maps are accepted):
- North arrow, along with all streets surrounding event
- Main safety/security headquarters
- All amplified speakers/generators (with arrows used to point out direction of sound) and stages
- All ADA and Regular restrooms available for the event
- Parking used for event
- All food booth vendors
- All other activities occurring at event (i.e. Carnival, Petting Zoo, Beer Garden, Craft Vendors, etc.)
- Copy of Certificate of Insurance with proof of general liability (no alcohol served) and/or liquor liability (alcohol served) NOTE: If liquor is being served/consumed, you must obtain Liquor Liability.
- Copy of Additional Insurance endorsement - CG 20 12 or CG 20 26
- Copy of any contracts/agreements signed for the event
Email DEHCommunityEvents@sdcounty.ca.gov or Fax (858) 505-6998 completed application to CEP Coordinator. The Coordinator will contact you for a Phone or In-Person meeting to discuss any Supplementary Forms required. Failure to provide a complete application package at least 30 days prior to first day of proposed event my not allow for a Community Event Permit to be issued. Changes to your application after submittal may lead to delay or denial of your permit.
|Application and Supporting Documents|
- Form A - Fill this out if your event has FOOD
- Form B - Fill this out if you are HIRING SECURITY or FIREWORKS
- Form C - Fill this out if your event has a BIKE RIDE
- Form D - Fill this out if your event has ROAD CLOSURES (ie Parade or Race)
- Form E - Fill this out if your event has 2,000+ total in attendance (RECYCLING PLAN)
|Food & Housing Programs|
|Body Art||Housing||Swimming Pools|