This report was prepared for the County of San Diego Department of Public Works (County) to document the development of a wastewater multi-year financial plan, cost of service analysis, and rate design for the San Diego County Sanitation District (District). The specific goals of the study were to:
- Evaluate the adequacy of projected revenues under existing sewer service charges to meet projected revenue requirements;
- Develop a wastewater cost of service and rate model for the District covering a five-year study (Fiscal Year 2017-18 through Fiscal Year 2021-22) period for both ongoing operations and planned capital improvements;
- Allocate projected Fiscal Year (FY) 2017-18 (FY 2018) revenue requirements to the various customer classes in accordance with the respective service requirements;
- Develop suitable five-year sewer service charge schedules that produce revenues adequate to meet financial needs of the District while recognizing customer costs of service and local and state legal and policy considerations such as California Constitution Articles XIII C and D (Proposition 218), and Proposition 26; and
- Recommend appropriate reserve levels for operations and capital needs.