EMT Renewal Certification
These requirements are for EMTs currently certified in the State of California. All candidates must:
1. Possess a valid and current California EMT certificate.
2. Provide a current government-issued photo ID (e.g., state driver’s license, state ID card, military ID card, or passport).
3. Complete a minimum of twenty-four (24) hours of approved prehospital continuing education within the two (2) year certification period. Continuing Education hours must be from one of the following:
a. An approved County of San Diego/State of California Prehospital Continuing Education Provider
b. College courses in physical, social or behavioral sciences
(e.g., anatomy, physiology, sociology, psychology) – copy of official transcript required
Additional Information for Lapsed EMTs:
If your certification is expired over 6 months but less than 12 months, applicants must complete an additional twelve (12) hours of approved continuing education (CE) in addition for the three (3) criteria above.
Additional requirements if your certification is expired over 12 months, but less than 24 months, include:
(a) complete an additional twenty-four (24) hours of approved continuing education (CE) in addition for the three (3) criteria above
(b) submit to a new CA Department of Justice Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) background check and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background check (separate from any agency requirement) and
(c) pass the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) written and skills examinations within the past two (2) years. The fee is $92.
Once these requirements are met:
- Applicants whose current EMT certificate was issued by the County of San Diego must complete the EMT-Renewal online application. Complete the EMT Renewal online application at least two months prior to expiration of the current certification period.
- Applicants whose current EMT certification was not issued by the County of San Diego must complete the EMT Transfer to San Diego County online application.
This application will require completion of a Department of Justice Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) background check and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background check (separate from any agency requirement).
Copies of the following documents will be needed to upload into the system:
- Current government-issued photo ID (PDF)
(e.g., state driver’s license, state ID card, military ID card, passport) #2 above
- Photo – headshot only (JPG)
- Documentation of all continuing education requirements, #3 above (PDF)
- Completed skills competency form EMSA-SCV 8/10, #4 above (PDF)
- Current CPR Card (front and back), #5 above (PDF)
- If applicable, written explanation, court records and/or police reports as requested during the application process (these records must be attached to each application submitted, whether the EMS Agency has received them previously or not)
PLEASE NOTE: The only JPG format document to be uploaded is the PHOTO. All other uploaded documentation is to be in PDF format only.
Online applications will not be processed until all the required documentation has been uploaded and the appropriate fee is received by the County of San Diego Emergency Medical Services.
Once the online application has been submitted and all the criteria specified in Title 22, Division 9, Chapter 2, Article 4 of the California Code of Regulations has been verified, an individual shall be recertified as an Emergency Medical Technician. If the recertification requirements were met within six (6) months prior to the expiration date, the effective date of the certification shall be the expiration date of the current certification.
The application process may take up to thirty (30) days from the date a complete application is received. Certification can be confirmed on the Central Registry as soon as it is processed. This certification is valid throughout the State of California and Emergency Medical Services Authority (EMSA) will print and mail a State of CA Certification card to the approved applicant.
Certification Services inquiries can be made by email to EMSCertifications.HHSA@sdcounty.ca.gov
PLAN EARLY! It is the responsibility of each credentialed individual to start the application process at least 60 days prior to certification expiration date.