HIV and STD Prevention Unit
HIV prevention services focus on strategies and interventions to prevent the spread of HIV infections. There is still no cure for AIDS. However, with recent advances in treatment, more people are living longer lives with HIV infection and AIDS. This means there exists an increasing need for prevention efforts to help those infected maintain safer behaviors and to help others at risk remain uninfected.
The HIV, STD and Hepatitis Branch (HSHB) administers funding from the California Department of Public Health, Office of AIDS, and STD Control Branch to provide a range of HIV and STD education and prevention services to people at high risk for acquiring or transmitting HIV and STDs. HSHB contracts with community-based organizations to provide HIV and STD education and prevention services. View a list of current providers.
Education and prevention services are offered through a variety of individual, group, and community-level interventions, including:
- Targeted Prevention Activities (TPA) - Outreach face-to-face or online that occurs in venues where individuals at high risk for acquiring or transmitting HIV and STDs congregate and includes referrals to testing and other support services as well as distribution of materials to prevent HIV and STDs such as condoms, bleach, and educational materials.
- Group Level Interventions (GLI) - Groups with high-risk individuals, which include information, education, support and skills building to prevent the acquisition or transmission of HIV and STDs.
- Individual Level Interventions (ILI) - Individual risk counseling is short-term health education and risk reduction counseling provided face-to-face or on-line to one client at a time to prevent the acquisition or transmission of HIV and STDs.
- Partner Services (PS) - Assistance to support HIV positive individuals in disclosing their HIV status on their own, in the presence of a partner and counselor, or through referral for third-party notification in which the County of San Diego anonymously notifies partners of potential exposure to HIV. View information on PS. To notify partners of STDs go to www.inspot.org.
- Health Communication Public Information (HCPI) - Presentations and events where HIV and STD health information is provided to the community such as health fairs and presentations in detention facilities. HIV prevention social marketing provides HIV and STD prevention health information to the public through marketing and behavior change campaigns.
- Training and Technical Assistance (TA) - Training and TA is available to all funded providers of prevention services.
HIV Prevention Group
The HIV Prevention Group (HPG) is an advisory board to the County of San Diego Chief Administrative Officer and Board of Supervisors.
The mission of the HIV Prevention Group is to promote risk reduction activities and prevent new HIV infections in the County. This Group supports broad-based community participation in prevention planning, identifies priority prevention needs and creates a comprehensive plan that recommends how resources can most effectively target those at highest risk for the transmission or acquisition of HIV and STDs. The plan is current, evidence-based, refreshed with new information as it becomes available, tailored to the specific needs and resources of the community and widely distributed. View the Plan for Education and Prevention Services for San Diego County 2010-2013.
The HIV Prevention Group is comprised of twenty-five members representing a variety of service providers and community members. This Group strives to recruit members from communities that are representative of the HIV epidemic in San Diego County including members from different communities of color, sexual orientations, genders, ages, socioeconomic statuses, residents of geographical areas, and experiences with risks associated with HIV.
The HIV Prevention Group has two standing committees: Steering and Continuum of Care and two current ad-hoc committees: By-Laws and Membership. In addition, there are five groups designated as Community Liaison Groups to the HIV Prevention Group: Coalition of Latino HIV Service Providers (CLASP), HIV CARE Partnership, Faith-Based Action Coalition (FBAC), HIV Youth Leadership Council and Project MOCHA. These committees and groups advise the HIV Prevention Group on HIV prevention issues pertaining to the groups they represent and have expertise.
The San Diego County HIV Prevention Group welcomes public participation at all HPG, committee and Community Liaison Group meetings. For meeting schedule and locations, please call (619) 692-8369 or go to: sdhivprevention.org/calendar/.
The STD Prevention Program Manager collaborates with community-based
organizations, schools and clinical service providers to increase
awareness of STDs and assist them in incorporating STD prevention into
their work. Services include community assessments of high morbidity
areas, hosting trainings, providing resources, and determining local
needs to build knowledge and skills around STD prevention through
training, technical assistance and other interventions.
Chlamydia Screening Project (ClaSP)
The Chlamydia Screening Project's (ClaSP) goal is to screen females admitted into County of San Diego Juvenile Hall for chlamydia. Females who test positive are treated in the detention facility and if released prior to receiving their test results, County Field Services staff follows up to notify these youth to get treated.
For more information, phone 619-293-4700 or send us an email.
Last updated December 23, 2015.