Family Self-Sufficiency Services (FSS), a program of Community Action Partnership, helps to enable individuals and families who meet federal poverty level (FPL) guidelines to achieve and sustain self-sufficiency by overcoming barriers to employment and eliminating behaviors that have resulted in dependency. The program focuses on improving the ability of the employable family members to become job ready, and develop social competence to improve their living conditions and lifestyle.
- Serve low-income individuals and families, CalWORKs and other public assistance recipients.
- Provide service in each of the six Health and Human Services Agency Regions.
- Provide education on asset building.
- Provide access to free tax assistance to benefit from the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit.
- Provide access to resources to help with emergency needs.
- Provide employment assistance.
- Assist with obtaining low or no-cost health insurance and/or other available resources, such as CalFresh benefits.
For more information, contact the FSS provider in your region:
HHSA North Central Region Provider
Social Advocates for Youth (SAY)
4340 Genesee Ave., Ste. 207
San Diego, CA 92117
Phone: (619) 974-3603
HHSA East Region Provider
Home Start, Inc.
131 Avocado Ave.
El Cajon, CA 92020
Phone: (619) 229-3660
Youth Self-Sufficiency Services at The O'Farrell Charter Schools
School-Based Family Self-Sufficiency Services are designed to
enhance the achievement of The O'Farrell Charter Schools educational
mission of attending to the social, intellectual, psychological, and
physical needs of middle level youth so they will become responsible,
literate, and contributing citizens.
The O'Farrell Charter Schools have an innovative approach to serving students. The unique structure is organized around the concept of "educational families" which consist of faculty and students who remain together throughout the students' three years of middle school. This structure is designed to give all students a realistic opportunity to succeed in an advanced school curriculum.
The O'Farrell Charter Schools integrate social services into daily educational operations in order to assure that students with problems are identified and not allowed to "fall through the cracks." These services also address violence prevention and resolution of disputes among students, many of whom have not previously acquired the social and communication skills required for effective management of frustration and anger.
Health and Social Services available on site include:
- Gang Intervention and prevention
- Positive parenting services
- Addiction prevention
- Mental health counseling
- Support groups
- Case management
- Assistance with issues around death and family break-up
Student Workshops that include:
- Anger Management
- Conflict Resolution
- Sexual Harassment
- Crisis Intervention
- Alcohol, Drugs, and other Substance, and Smoking Prevention
- Cross-Cultural Development
The O'Farrell Charter Schools
6130 Skyline Drive
San Diego, CA 92114
(619) 263-3009, x2256
Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday
7:00am - 3:30pm
For more information send us an email or phone 619-338-2799