When is a permit from the HMD needed?
A permit from the HMD is required when an underground hazardous materials storage tank system (UST system) is constructed, repaired, modified, repaired, or closed. A UST system includes the tank(s), all piping (vent, vapor, product lines), and associated equipment. A permit is required for the following:
- Installation of a new UST system.
- Repair, replacement, removal, or closure in place of a UST system.
- Repair, replacement, or removal of product, vent, fill, or vapor-recovery piping.
- Modification of a UST system, including piping for the installation or repair of a corrosion protection system.
- Modification of a UST system that includes the installation of collars, sumps, or dispenser containment systems.
- Secondary Containment Testing Repairs .
- Installation/ Replacement of Leak Detection Equipment.
Please contact our UST Plan Check staff if you need more information or assistance to determine if your project requires a UST permit.
What steps should I take to obtain a UST Plan Check Permit?
Obtain and complete the appropriate HMD application form(s). You may also pick up the forms in person at our office, or call the UST plan check desk and forms will be mailed to you.
Be sure to:
- Obtain other permits, as needed, from the local fire department, Air Pollution Control District (APCD), and local building/planning department, if applicable.
- Obtain and/or include a Board of Equalization (BOE) number.
- Obtain and/or include an Assessors Parcel number.
- Prepare plan drawings (submit the original and two copies).
PLEASE NOTE: Tank removals do not require a permit from the APCD or a BOE number, but do require that you complete a UST Closure Work-Plan (to be completed by the contractor) and a Post Tank Removal Work-Plan if question 4 of the application is marked "yes".
How long will it take to get my permit reviewed?
Provided that all the required documents have been properly completed and that all applicable fees have been paid, most plans are reviewed within 7-10 working days. The plan check technician will notify you by phone when your application package has been reviewed.
How do I schedule an inspection?
Inspection scheduling must be made 48 hours in advance.
It is important that you check with other agencies as needed (i.e. Fire Department) before scheduling an inspection with DEH.
You can call the plan check message line at 858-505-6785 to schedule an inspection appointment. All inspections are scheduled in a first come first served basis. Messages will be recorded in the order they are received. We will do our best to accommodate your preferred date and time based on inspector availability. Within 24 hours of your call, you will receive confirmation of a scheduled inspection date and time. Request for specified inspection dates and times due to special circumstances will be handled only on a case by case basis.
Please leave the following information when making an appointment. Failure to do so may delay your request:
- Contact phone number to return call
- Establishment number
- Plan Check number
- Inspection Type (pressure, final, removal, etc.)
- Preferred inspection date (minimum 48 Hours notice is required)
- Preferred inspection time (9:00 am or 1:00 pm appointments only)
You may also request a "plan check" inspection on line here: http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/deh/hazmat/hm-9309.html
How do I cancel an already scheduled inspection?
To cancel your scheduled inspection you must contact the plan check technician at (858) 505-6976 at least one hour before the scheduled inspection, or a re-inspection fee will be assessed