When temperatures begin to rise, so does the risk for West Nile virus as the number of mosquitoes increase in the area. One way to safeguard against mosquitoes is to eliminate breeding areas around your home . Mosquitoes breed wherever they can find standing water to lay their eggs, all they need is half an inch of water. Protect yourself and your family by following the tips below for cleaning up against West Nile Virus.
- Clean out pet bowls daily
- Fix leaky faucets that cause water puddles
- Repair or install tight-fitting screens on windows and doors
- Cover or drain items that hold water like unused pools, trash cans, old tires, garden equipment, boats and toys
- Clean the water in birdbaths and wading pools weekly
- Add Mosquito Fish to ornamental ponds and unused pools. For free Mosquito Fish please call (858) 694-2888 or go to one of our Mosquito Fish Distribution Locations.
- Clean clogged rain gutters
- Remove standing water from plant saucers, buckets, and other containers
- Trim the yard so that weeds, tall grass, and shrubs cannot harbor mosquitoes
WNV Or Other Vectors Contact: