Edgemoor Volunteer Opportunities
For additional information or to volunteer, send us an email (please include your name, address, telephone numbers (home and cell) and the best time you can be reached), or call (619) 596-5500.
Volunteer Mission Statement: To cultivate and strengthen contributions of voluntary service at Edgemoor DPSNF. Volunteers offer an extra dimension of service to our residents by providing empathy for families and visitors, and by supporting services for the facility’s staff in an environment of limited resources.
Why volunteer at Edgemoor?
Volunteers play a key role at Edgemoor by providing special services to residents and staff. The need for Volunteers is great and the rewards are even greater. It is an opportunity to serve, grow, learn, make new friends and contribute to our community. The presence of volunteers is felt throughout our facility from warmly greeting residents and visitors, to brightening an individual’s day by reading, walking, playing games or just chatting. Come join our great caring team here at Edgemoor.
What is needed to volunteer?
Volunteers at Edgemoor need to complete an application, go through background check and orientation. All volunteers must be at least 18 years old. We ask for a commitment of at least six months, and at least four hours a month.
What do volunteers do?
Volunteers do all sorts of things at Edgemoor depending on their own strengths and the needs of the residents. Here are some of the things our volunteers do now—if you have special skills or ideas, you can help us add to this list:
- Assisting residents with computers - such as training on how to use the computer or new software
- Assisting with clerical
functions in the Therapeutic Recreation Department
- Organizing books, tapes, videos
- Completing supply lists
- Helping push wheelchairs to move residents from one place to another
- Delivering mail
- Assisting with activities - ceramics, crafts, games, sing along, movies, bingo
- Taking residents out for a walk from the nursing unit, participating in unit activities
- Helping staff take residents out of the building for field trips - plan, recruit, accompany
- Decorating bulletin boards
- Reading to, writing letters to, or spending time with residents who have few visitors or are lonely
- Praying or offering religious services or Bible studies
- Providing an activity: craft, exercise program, art, music performance and/or education
- Bringing in a therapy animal to visit
- Stocking and maintaining library, distribute reading material to residents
- Helping sort and distribute donated clothing
- Shopping for resident needs
- Developing fundraising activities and helping the facility obtain donations for the residents
- Distributing monthly calendars on neighborhoods, in resident rooms
- Special event planning and organizing
- Serving food at special events
- Helping residents with computer skills, service resident computers
- Donating used clothing, accessories, or small items for the monthly “rummage sale”
If you have a special talent, please let us know. And thank you for your interest in volunteering at Edgemoor DP SNF.