Finding subsidized child care
The State of California has some programs that provide child care for some families with limited financial resources. To be eligible for child care services, a family must be participating in CalWORKs Welfare-to-Work activities or have limited income. The Stage 1 child care program is administered through the County of San Diego, and all other programs are administered by other local agencies.
CalWORKs Welfare-to-Work participants can get subsidized child care through a voucher program. If you are in Welfare-to-Work now, you can talk to your case manager.
If you are not in Welfare-to-Work, there are also some state-funded programs for low-income workers. All State-funded programs use the same eligibility list. To sign up for all the programs at once, visit the Centralized Eligibility List or call 800-521-0560.
- If you have questions or concerns about your subsidized child care:
- First contact your case worker.
- If that doesn’t resolve the issue, contact the case worker’s supervisor.
- If that still doesn’t resolve the issue, contact the County by email or phone 619-515-4225 or toll free 855-529-1684.
- Information on applying for CalWORKs
- Finding child care:
- YMCA Childcare Resource Service or 800-481-2151
- Child Care and Development Planning Council
- Family Child Care Licensing: How to become a family child care provider
- Inquire or complain about a provider or 619-767-2200
- Child Welfare Services
- Child Safety Seats
- Child Protective Services Hot Line or 800-344-6000.
- Access, San Diego County’s online Customer Service Center or 866-262-9881
- Thrive San Diego – IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program: Free tax preparation services are available for low- to moderate-income individuals and families (generally, $49,000 and below). Qualified individuals and families can get up to $5,600 (with children) or $457 (no children) in Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Getting EITC dollars will not affect CalWORKs, CalFresh (formerly known as Food Stamps) or Medi-Cal benefits. Call 2-1-1 to find a free tax preparation site near you and to get more information. You can also log on to http://www.thrivesandiego.org/index_files/aboutvita.htm.