For more information call the Epidemiology Program at phone number 619-692-8499 or send us an e-mail.
The Data Analysis and Surveillance Unit (DASU) of the Epidemiology and Immunization Services Branch is responsible for the systematic collection, management, analysis, and dissemination of morbidity, mortality, and other health surveillance data.
DASU also provides technical assistance relating to health indicator data, thereby seeking to actively promote and disseminate information relevant to the health of people living in San Diego County, and to aid decision makers in setting policies, managing health issues, and identifying emerging health trends.
Reportable Communicable Diseases and Conditions
Tables and reports summarizing selected communicable diseases and conditions reported to Public Health Services.
- Monthly Communicable Disease Surveillance Reports - provide counts and year-to-date sums of selected diseases and conditions reported to Epidemiology & Immunization Services Branch (coming soon)
- Five-Year Disease Table, 2009-13 New (updated June 2014)
- Communicable Disease Report, 2007 - provides an overview of select communicable disease incidents reported to Epidemiology & Immunization Services Branch
Hospital Patient Discharge Data (PDD)
Hospital patient discharge data is distributed by the California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD). Data include a de-identified record for each inpatient discharged from a California licensed hospital, including general acute care, acute psychiatric, chemical dependency recovery, and psychiatric health facilities.
Numbers are for discharges, not persons, because a person may have more than one hospitalization during a year.
- Patient Discharge Summary Report, 2007-2011 New (updated October 2012)
- Patient Discharges by Selected Principal Diagnoses New (updated October 2012)
- Selected Causes for Patient Hospitalizations New (updated October 2012)
Mortality data provide important information regarding death due to disease and injuries. These data are obtained from registered death certificates; the data are analyzed using the underlying cause of death.
Data presented here are in aggregate form useful for population-based perspectives.
Data for multiple years are available on the 15 leading causes of death, specific diseases and selected demographic categories including region, race/ethnicity, age groups, and gender.
- Leading Causes of Death Tables, San Diego County
- San Diego County Regional Tables
- Selected Cause of Death Tables
- Special Mortality Topics (coming soon)
Life expectancy is used as a health indicator to gauge the general health of a population, and health disparities among sub-populations. It is presented as the average number of years a person born a certain year is expected to live, given the current age-specific mortality rates applied to each age group of the current population.
- Overall Life Expectancy Trends in San Diego, 1990-2009
- Life Expectancy by Region, 2008-09
- Life Expectancy by Race/Ethnicity, 2000-09
- Life Expectancy by Sex, 2000-09
Additional San Diego Health Statistics Resources
- California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD)
- Community Health Improvement Partners (CHIP)
- Community Health Statistics
- Demographic Data - San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG)
- San Diego County Child and Family Health and Well-Being Report Card
- United Way of San Diego
For more information, call the Epidemiology Program at telephone # 619-692-8499, or send us an e-mail.