For more information send us an email or phone 800-675-2229.
The Perinatal Care Network (PCN) is a toll-free phone line that links families eligible for pregnancy-related Medi-Cal to care. PCN works to assure that pregnant women obtain early and continuous prenatal care and other services needed during pregnancy.
PCN is part of Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health (MCAH) and is required by the following authorities: Health & Safety Code, Sections 123225-123255 and 123510; California Welfare and Institutions Code, Sections 14148.9-14148.9; U.S. Code of Regulations Title 42, The Public Health and Welfare; and California Code of Regulations Title 17, Public Health.
Goals of the Program
- Healthy mothers have healthy babies.
- Link pregnant women to available health care services.
- Assure pregnant women receive early and continuous prenatal care.
PCN was created in the late 1980s to respond to widespread barriers that prevented many pregnant women from accessing prenatal care in San Diego County. PCN has functioned as a successful public/private partnership collaborating with prenatal care providers, community organizations, interagency programs, and other health and social service organizations working to provide pregnant women with needed services and resources. PCN contract, 2-1-1 San Diego, provides direct PCN services county-wide.
- Assistance in applying for pregnancy-related Medi-Cal.
- Assistance for pregnant women not in prenatal care to start care as soon as possible. Providers in the Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program (CPSP) and other private providers and clinics accept patients referred by PCN. Several providers will see a pregnant woman even before her Medi-Cal coverage is granted.
- Help scheduling a first prenatal appointment.
- Provide transportation assistance for prenatal appointments.
- Links to community services and resources, such as Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), MotherToBaby, and Text4Baby.
- Links to home visiting/family support programs, including: Public Health Nursing, Black Infant Health (BIH), First 5 First Steps, and PCI Border Healthy Start.
- Follow-up services for pregnant women to ensure that services were obtained.
- Finding family planning and other care to stay healthy after a baby is born.
- Assistance with families needing health coverage and a medical home for baby.
PCN does not share client information without permission. For more information, call 1-800-675-2229.
What Clients Are Saying
- “Answered all of my questions and was very friendly."
- “They were able to answer my questions and provide resources for my medical needs.”
- “With one call, I was able to get Medi-Cal application going and found a doctor for my prenatal care.”
- “Helped me get seen by a doctor – if my friend was having medical problems, I’d recommend.”