COUNTY LIBRARY RECEIVES GOOGLE CHROMEBOOKS THROUGH STATE LIBRARY GRANT
January 3, 2013
A recent national survey published by the Institute of Museum and Library Services found that almost half (45%) of all library visitors connected to the Internet during their visit. San Diego County Library customers enjoy free public internet stations at all locations, and now have even more access to the internet and new technology. The County Library recently received 48 Google Chromebooks, ultra-light notebooks designed for web browsing and easy portability, through a grant offered through the California State Library and Califa Library Group. The Chromebooks are available for in-branch use at eight County Library locations and each host branch is offering related programming to assist customers in using the new technology. Locations and classes for January include:
- Borrego Springs Branch (587 Palm Canyon Dr # 125): Saturdays, January 5 & 19, 3 p.m.: For adults. Come learn some basic computer and Internet skills using our new Google Chromebook laptop computers. Sessions will cover e-mail, social networking, blogging, and more.
- Casa de Oro Branch (9805 Campo Rd #180): 2nd & 4th Wednesdays, January 9 & 23, 3:30 p.m.: For grades 2-6. Set up a Google Account and learn how to download Google Apps for homework help, games and more.
Tuesday, January 15, 3 p.m.: For grades 6-12. Introduction to Chromebooks.
- El Cajon Branch (201 E Douglas Ave): Wednesday, January 23, 2 p.m.: For adults. Learn how to set up and use email on our new Chromebooks.
- La Mesa Branch (8074 Allison Ave): Mondays, 4 p.m.: For grades 3-5. Set up a Google Account and learn how to download Google Apps for homework help, games and more.
Thursday, January 24, 4 p.m.: For teens. Learn about our new Chromebooks.
- Rancho San Diego Branch (11555 Via Rancho San Diego): Wednesday, January 30, 1 p.m.: For adults. Learn how to set up an account with Google so you can log into our new Chromebooks.
- San Marcos Branch (2 Civic Center Dr): Wednesday, January 30, 4 p.m.: For teens. Explore devices such as Google Chromebooks, iPads, Kindles, and more.
- Santee Branch (9225 Carlton Hills Blvd #17): Tuesday, January 15, 3 - 4:30 p.m.: For parents and children grades 2-4. Learn about apps that can help you help your child.
- Spring Valley Branch (836 Kempton St): Wednesdays at 3 p.m.: For tweens. Explore different Google Apps on our new Chromebooks.
"Access to digital resources is something all Californians should have," said Acting State Librarian Gerald Maginnity. "Part of the mission of the State Library is to help libraries serve those in their communities who want to find information online but don't have a home computer. By making Chromebooks available for loan, libraries can help bridge the digital divide."
For more information on Google Chromebooks at San Diego County Library, contact your local County Library branch or visit www.sdcl.org.