Heritage County Park

Heritage_Park

2454 Heritage Park Row
San Diego, CA 92110
ThomBros: 1268-F5
Phone: 858-565-3600

Park Office:
Senlis Cottage
2450 Heritage Park Row
San Diego, CA. 92110

Go to the Parks News and Updates page for information regarding the City of San Diego's Juan Street Improvement Project and related traffic impacts in Old Town.

 Additional Photos on Pinterest

This County park is adjacent to Old Town in San Diego. The park features several restored victorian homes and San Diego's first synagogue, Temple Beth Israel.  The temple now hosts weddings, receptions and bar mitzvahs.

The Temple Beth Israel and the large lawn remain open to the public and are available for event reservations. All existing reservations for use of the Temple and Park can be made by calling the Reservations Desk.

SenlisCottage

Senlis Cottage (1896) Nineteenth Century Vernacular -- A modest cottage built for Eugene Senlis, an employee of San Diego Pioneer Horticulturist. This house, without the amenities of gas, electricity, water, or sewer, is an example of dwellings occupied in the 1880s by working-class people. Park restrooms are located on the north side of the building next to the parking circle. The museum is on the west side of the cottage

 

ShermanGilbertHouse

Sherman-Gilbert House (1887) Stick Eastlake -- (City Historic Site #8) This house was built and first owned by John Sherman, cousin of General William Tecumseh Sherman. The "widow's walk" and circular window are key elements of the first structure moved to Heritage Park in the spring of 1971. From 1892 to 1965, sisters Bess and Gertrude Gilbert, patrons of art and music, brought internationally famous entertainers to receptions in their home. Among the artists were Yehudi Menuhin, Ernestine Schumann-Heink, and Artur Rubinstein. The Park Ranger office is located on the bottom floor.

 

BushyheadHouse

Bushyhead House (1887) Italianate -- Edward Wilkerson Bushyhead, early San Diego Sheriff, Chief of Police, and San Diego Union Newspaper owner, built this house as a rental. The Italianate style combines double doors with glass panels, tall protruding bay windows, regularly spaced brackets, and a low-pitched roof. The Bushyhead House (along with the Christian House and the Burton House) was moved to its Heritage Park location in the summer of 1976. Bushyhead, who was part Cherokee Indian, marched in the "Trail of Tears" during the displacement of the Southeastern tribes in 1838-39.

 

ChristianHouse

Christian House (1889) Queen Anne -- This graceful residence was constructed by Harfield Timberlake Christian, founder of an early San Diego abstract company. It is built in a popular late Victorian design characterized by a variety of chimneys, shingles, a corner tower, and an encircling veranda. 

 

McConaughyHouse

McConaughy House (1887) Stick Eastlake -- The house is named for its original owner, John McConaughy, who founded the first scheduled passenger and freight service in San Diego County. His four-horse passenger stage and six-horse wagon operated between San Diego and Julian.

 

 

BurtonHouse

Burton House (1893) Classic Revival -- Pediments and dentil cornices inspired by classic sources mark this house. Henry Guild Burton, retired Army physician, built it during a trend that by the turn of the century began to eliminate decoration.

 

 

TempleBethIsrael

Temple Beth Israel (1889) Classic Revival -- (City Historic Site #82) San Diego's first synagogue, constructed by the Congregation Beth Israel, also became temporary quarters for many religious sects before they established churches of their own. The structure reflects the church styles of the late 1800s. The first service was held on September 25, 1889.