Park News, Weather Updates & Park Closures
(Updated 5/22/15 at 11:35 am)
Due to inclement weather the following parks have been closed to the public:
- Live Oak Park Leash Free Area
- Santa Margarita Preserve
- Live Oak Park Leash Free Area - Due to the Avocado Half Marathon and 5K event on Saturday May 23, the Live Oak Park leash free area will open at approximately 12:00pm and close at sunset. This event will cause several road closures including the closing of Reche Rd and Gird Rd from 7:00am to 12:00pm. During this time there will be no vehicular access to Live Oak Park or the leash free area. For more information on the event, please go to www.avocadohalfand5k.com
- Temporary Park Closures - The Department will be conducting tree maintenance operations related to the Gold Spotted Oak Borer (GSOB) during the month of May that will require temporary closures of several park facilities. The following parks will be temporarily closed for camping and day use visitation on the following dates:
- Lake Morena County Park - May 18, 19 & 20
For more information on the GSOB see Oak Tree Protection and the GSOB FAQs
- Eucalyptus Park - The upper playground area will remain closed during construction and installation of the new playground equipment. The project, which includes new swings and new surfacing, is expected to reopen in June 2015. Thank you for your patience during construction.
- Pine Valley County Park - Starting in February, Pine Valley County Park is under construction for a synthetic turf field conversion which will last 5-6 months. During this time, the field is unavailable.
- Dos Picos Park - Utility upgrades to improve facilities will be under construction on an ongoing basis beginning in early 2015. This may result in construction traffic, construction noise and rotational site closings during regular business hours throughout the construction period. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
- Lake Morena County Park - Due to the draw down of water at Lake Morena County Park, the boat ramp will be closed to launch personal watercraft until further notice. Personal float tubes, canoes, and kayaks are still able to launch on the lake. The motorized boats available at the lake's marina can still be rented, and are able to operate for daily fishing and water activities. Please call the Lake Morena Park office for further information at (619) 579-4101.