Park News, Weather Updates & Park Closures
(Updated 7/2/15 at 1:00 pm)
- Due to thunderstorm activity in the area the following parks are closed until further notice:
- El Monte Staging Area
- Lakeside Skatepark - skate park repairs will be occuring during the week of 6/29/15. The park will remain open while work is in process except in locations of repairs. Thank you for your patience.
- Water Conservation Projects - There will be a number of water conservation projects occurring throughout the San Diego County Parks System effective immediately and over the coming months.
- Collier Park - 25,000 sq ft of turf will be converted to a decomposed granite surface. Picnic sites in lawned areas will continue to be available in other areas of the park. This turf conversion project will be completed by late June, 2015. We appologize for any inconvenience.
- Eucalyptus Park - The upper playground area will remain closed during construction and installation of the new playground equipment. The project, which includes new swings and new surfacing, is expected to reopen in June 2015. Thank you for your patience during construction.
- Pine Valley County Park - Starting in February, 2015, Pine Valley County Park is under construction for approximately 6 months to install new synthetic turf ball fields. During this time, the fields will be unavailable.
- Dos Picos Park - Utility upgrades to improve facilities will be under construction on an ongoing basis beginning in early 2015. This may result in construction traffic, construction noise and rotational site closings during regular business hours throughout the construction period. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
- Lake Morena County Park - Due to the draw down of water at Lake Morena County Park, the boat ramp will be closed to launch personal watercraft until further notice. Personal float tubes, canoes, and kayaks are still able to launch on the lake. The motorized boats available at the lake's marina can still be rented, and are able to operate for daily fishing and water activities. Please call the Lake Morena Park office for further information at (619) 579-4101.
- Borrego Springs Community Park - Borrego Springs will soon have a brand-new park, to be built on the 16-acre parcel at the corner of Country Club and Sunset Roads, across from the post office.
For years, local groups have struggled to make the park a reality. The land was purchased with the idea of creating a park under the County’s Park Lands Dedication Ordinance (PLDO) which collects fees from developers for parks. After a review of the past 13 years, only $250,000 in these fees had accumulated – not enough to realize the vision for the park from 2001. In addition, the PLDO mandates a local maintenance entity to be responsible for ongoing care of the park, and resources could not be identified.
County Parks and Recreation representatives are now working to meet this maintenance entity requirement in innovative ways: the team is forming partnerships with other departments and agencies to meet specific site needs and any plans, moving forward, will include space for a dedicated on-site volunteer.
A public kick-off meeting was held on April 29 where community members shared their vision and suggestions for this new park. Suggestions pulled from that meeting have been incorporated into the following survey.
Residents are encouraged to take the survey to ensure their preferences are captured in conceptual designs, to be presented at the next community meeting this September. Residents will be informed once a date for that meeting has been set. The survey will be open until Friday, July 3, 2015.