About the Program
Camp Barrett is located in the rural community of Alpine, near Descanso. Camp Barrett provides a commitment option to the Juvenile Court for seriously delinquent males, ages 16.5 through 18 years old for periods ranging from 270 to 547 days.
Camp Barrett’s goal is to provide committed wards with the training and skills necessary for successful reintegration into society. To accomplish this goal, each ward is required to attend school, complete assigned camp work tasks, and complete a demanding structured program designed to address reintegration issues.
Visiting occurs every Sunday between the hours of 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM. You must arrive in camp prior to 2:30 PM in order to visit.
The visiting schedule is the same for holidays.
Following are some regulations regarding visiting at Camp Barrett:
- Only parents, grandparents, and legal guardians are permitted to visit. You must bring a photo I.D.
- Special visits must be pre-approved through the minor’s probation officer or the Camp supervisor and a special appointment made for the visit.
- Visitors may bring two 20oz sealed beverages per person. Beverages must be in plastic containers.
- Visitors may bring playing cards, however, they must take them with them when they leave.
- Once the minor has reported to the visit, the visitor cannot return to their vehicle unless they are willing to terminate their visit for the day.
- Visitors are not allowed to be "DROPPED OFF" or walk into camp. If the driver of a vehicle is not an authorized visitor; the entire visiting group must leave. No person or persons are authorized to remain in a vehicle while others are visiting.
When a minor is within one week of release, the parents are permitted to send in or bring to visiting the minors release clothing. Minors can be picked up at Camp Barrett the morning of their release or they can be transported to Juvenile Hall for pick up by the parents. An Officer will call the parents the night before his release to set up the release procedure.
If a minor is terminated from the program, the parents will be sent a letter outlining the procedure for obtaining the minors property. The Camp Barrett warehouse will keep the minors belongings for up to 90 days. Arrangements can be made to pick up the belongings at Camp Barrett or they can be sent to Juvenile Hall for pick up. An appointment must be made prior to the pick up of property at either location.