Port-In Procedures


This section is for families who receive their vouchers through one housing agency and wish to transfer their voucher to another housing agency.  Effective June 5, 2015, we are billing incoming ports from other housing authorities and an incoming transfer takes approximately 40 to 60 days to process, once we receive the paperwork from the applicant's current housing agency.  

Unfortunately, we cannot accept a transfer to our jurisdiction unless we receive a portability packet from the initial housing agency.  The initial housing agency should mail or fax the portability packet to our agency at the following address:

County of San Diego  
Department of Housing and Community Development
Attn.:  Portability
3989 Ruffin Road
San Diego, CA 92123

(858) 694-4876 Tel.
(858) 694-8706 Fax

Processing time is 45-60 days.  It is important the family has sufficient resources, including a place to stay, and available funds to pay for temporary housing and other expenses, to carry them through the processing period.  We do not have funding for emergency assistance.

Since the policies and procedures of the receiving housing agency apply, some of the policies a transferring family should be aware of include:

  • We research criminal history of all incoming transfers and will not process the transfer if anyone in the household has engaged in certain criminal activities, including violent and drug-related criminal offenses.
  • We may reduce the voucher size.
  • Our payment standards may be lower.
  • For an admission at the initial housing agency, the family income may exceed our income limits and they may be ineligible for assistance at our agency.
  • There are six housing agencies in San Diego County.  We do not serve the following cities, and if you want to move to one of these cities, you must contact them directly:
  1. San Diego Housing Commission, including San Ysidro at (619) 578-7310
  2. Encinitas Housing Authority, including Cardiff at (760) 633-2723
  3. Carlsbad City Housing Authority at (760) 434-2810
  4. Oceanside City Housing Authority at (760) 435-3360
  5. National City Community Development Commission at (619) 336-4254

If you are moving outside of San Diego County and do not know the address for the Housing Authority in the area you are moving to, this link may help you:


Once we receive a portability packet, we will send the family a new certification packet.  The certification packet includes the following:

  1. Confirmation letter (informing family that we have received the portability packet).
  2. Personal Declaration and Questionnaire for Rental Assistance
  3. Eligibility Requirements (Citizenship Status)

Please make sure all paperwork in the certification packet is completed prior to mailing it back to us.  Remember to include the following documents:

  1. Current proof of income (pay stubs, award letter for Social Security benefits, Unemployment, Child Support, CalWorks, etc.)
  2. Current proof of any asset (all pages of current bank statements, trust funds, life insurance, etc.)
  3. Birth certificates and social security cards for all household members
  4. Current picture identification for all adults
  5. Legal immigration documents for all household members (if applicable)

The paperwork is very important.  You will need to provide all of the necessary verifications requested before we can approve you for assistance.  Again, the approval process may take 45-60 days.  Failure to provide your paperwork may result in termination of your rental assistance benefits.  

After the paperwork is reviewed, we will issue a voucher and a Request for Tenancy Approval packet (the RFTA).  We must receive the RFTA on or before the date your voucher expires.  We cannot process the RFTA until your family passes a criminal history check and we verify the unit selected has a reasonable rent and is affordable.

After we approve the RFTA, we will schedule an inspection.  Assistance will begin only after the unit passes an inspection, a lease agreement is executed, and the landlord signs a Housing Assistance Payment Contract. 

Finding a unit is your responsibility.  For a list landlords and units willing to participate in the rental assistance programs, go to our Available Units page. You may also look for units on your own.