Changing a Child Support Order

A change to a court order is called a modification. Either parent can ask that the Department of Child Support Services review the child support order any time there is a change in circumstance.

A change in circumstance may include:

  • Change in income of either party
  • Change in the amount of time the child(ren) spend with each parent or change in custody
  • Incarceration of the noncustodial parent


The department sends paperwork to both parties requesting information and verification of income, health insurance, and custody information. Once the completed packets are returned, your case manager will review the information to determine if your order qualifies for DCSS to file a motion requesting that the court-order be changed.

To qualify to have your motion for modification completed by DCSS, the current support amount must change by $50 or 20%.

To run a calculation, click here.



If the parties agree to the new amount, DCSS can complete an signed-agreement, or "stipulation", and file it with the court. Once filed, the stipulation will become the new court-order and the parents will not need to appear in court.

If either parent disagrees with the new amount, a court hearing will be set.



Expand All | Collapse All