Changing a Court Order


How often can we change our support order?

A change to a court order is called a modification. Either parent can ask that the Department of Child Support Services review the child support case any time there is a change in circumstance.

A change in circumstance may include:

  • A change in income of either parent
  • A custody or visitation change regarding the child
  • Incarceration of the noncustodial parent

What happens next after you ask for a change?

The department sends a packet to both parents to complete. Once the completed packets are returned, the Department will determine if the order should be changed.

To qualify for a modification, the current support amount must change by $50 or 20%.

To run a calculation, click here.

Do we have to go to court?

If both parents agree to the new amount, we will complete an agreement, or stipulation and file it with the court. This will become the new order and the parents will not need to appear in court.

If both parents disagree with the new amount, a court hearing will be set.




Frequently Asked Questions

Expand All | Collapse All