Serving our Military Community

image, navy ship

The Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) recognizes that military personnel and their families have unique circumstances that may affect their child support obligation or ability to pay support.

  • deployments
  • medical discharge and/or disability
  • change of duty stations
  • drawdown
  • retirement


All of these represent significant changes in circumstances for the service member and their family.  To meet these needs, DCSS has added a team of military and veteran liaisons to our family of child support professionals.  This liaison is available to work with the military or veteran case participant and their assigned caseworker to:

  • report changes before they occur to ensure that modifications are effective as close to the actual change in circumstances as possible
  • provide referrals and information regarding resources available to assist service members and their families with their non-DCSS related concerns


Visit this link for forms and further information about the Review and Adjustment of Child Support Orders for Military and Service members Deployed Out-of-State.

You may also visit the State of California Web site for more information on child support and the military information.


Expand All | Collapse All

  • Service members Civil Relief ACT (SCRA)

    Active duty military personnel have specific protections that may impact child support under the Service members Civil Relief ACT (SCRA). SCRA was passed by Congress to provide protection for individuals entering or called to active duty in the military service. Among other things, it is intended to postpone or suspend specific civil obligations to enable service members to devote full attention to their military duty. Reservists and members of the National Guard also get the benefits of the SCRA while on active duty. The protection begins on the date the individual enters active duty and terminates within 90 to 180 days after the date of discharge from active duty.

    Visit this link for specific information about SCRA.

  • National Guard and Reserves

    Amended Family Code Section 3651 now provides that when a member of the National Guard or a military reservist is a party to a child support order and is activated and deployed out-of-state, the service member may request an expedited modification to his/her child support order prior to his/her activation.


Contact a Child Support Military and Veteran Liaison by emailing


Establish Paternity

When a child is born to unmarried parents, the father does not automatically have the legal rights of a parent, will not appear on the birth certificate, and may not be permitted to add the child as a dependent for military benefits.  The Paternity Opportunity Program (POP) is a free and easy way to establish paternity without having to go to court. 

If the father is in the military and will be unavailable around the expected due date, he should contact a local POP Coordinator before deploying to learn more about how to take this important first step, no matter where duty calls. 

Military and/or Veterans Assistance 

Frequently Asked Questions