Let's Learn About Mosquitoes!
The Let's Learn About Mosquitoes! school program is an engaging educational program offered by the Vector Control Program to 4th and 5th grade classrooms. Mosquitoes in San Diego County can transmit potentially harmful diseases including West Nile virus, and education is a key part of prevention!
The program follows the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and teaches students:
- The life cycle and habitat of the mosquito
- How mosquitoes spread diseases (and which diseases are present in San Diego County)
- Actions they can take to protect themselves against mosquitoes
- What the Vector Control Program does and what services it provides
The program consists of three activities that take 30 minutes to 1 hour each. Materials for the in-class activities are provided in the Classroom Kit:
- Mosquito Life Cycle Activity (in class): Students will learn about the mosquito life cycle and will examine real insect samples
- Mosquito Breeding (in class or take home): Students will look for mosquito habitat around their homes and neighborhoods or around their school
- Mosquitoes and Diseases (presentaion - currently virtual): Vector Control Staff will give a presentation explaining how mosquitoes can spread diseases and what students can do to stay safe
For more details about the program, including the specific NGSS standards covered, please refer to the Teacher Guide and other program resources below.
To schedule a presentation for your classroom, please email email@example.com. Classroom Kits will be delivered prior to the scheduled presentation. Activities 1 and 2 must be completed before the presentation, as the presentation builds upon knowledge gained in the prior activities.
Life Cycle video (coming soon)