In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)
IHSS can provide homemaker and personal care assistance to eligible individuals who are receiving Supplemental Security Income or who have a low income and need help in the home to remain independent.
For more information send an email or call: 800-339-4661
Having help with tasks around the house not only makes the lives of seniors and the disabled easier, in some cases it allows the person to remain at home. In-Home Supportive Services includes domestic and related services, and help with personal care such as:
- Bathing and grooming
- Meal preparation and clean up
Who provides IHSS Services?
- In-Home Supportive Services are provided by independent providers/caregivers.
- The IHSS recipient is considered the employer of his/her caregiver and is responsible for hiring, supervising and, if necessary, dismissing the provider.
Providers must attend an enrollment session, show proof of employment and complete a Department of Justice (DOJ) background clearance.
Information for providers is available from the Public Authority. Click here for individual provider enrollment information and forms.
There are several factors which go into determining eligibility for In-Home Supportive Services. The following information will help you determine if you or someone you know might qualify.
To be eligible for IHSS, an individual must:
- Fall within the financial eligibility guidelines
- Be blind, disabled, or age 65-plus
- Meet eligibility requirements for federally funded Medi-Cal
- AND be unable to live at home safely without help
- Persons receiving SSI/SSP
- Persons not receiving SSI/SSP may be eligible, but might be required to pay part of the costs
How to Apply:
An applicant, or any person acting on behalf of an applicant, may submit an application to Aging & Independence Services (AIS) requesting an evaluation for IHSS.
The easiest way to apply is by calling the AIS Call Center at 1-800-339-4661.
You can also apply by completing and submitting the IHSS application, SOC 295 – Application for In-Home Supportive Services. If needed, an application can be printed upon request at any of the IHSS regional offices.
Applications may be submitted by:
- Email : ADRC.HHSA@sdcounty.ca.gov.
- Facsimile (fax): 619-344-8077
- Mail or in-person to one of the following IHSS Regional Offices:
|IHSS Regional Office||Address|
|El Cajon||389 N. Magnolia Avenue|
|El Cajon, CA 92020|
|Escondido||649 W. Mission Avenue Ste.5|
|Escondido, CA 92025|
|National City||401 Mile of Cars Way Ste.210|
|National City, CA 91950|
|Oceanside||1305 Union Plaza Court, Ste.200|
|Oceanside, CA 92054|
|Overland||5560 Overland Avenue Ste.310|
|San Diego, CA 92123|
Once your completed application is received,
- The social worker will make an appointment to meet with you at your home. The social worker will talk with you about your medical condition, living arrangements and any help you might be getting from your family, friends or others.
- The social worker will also talk with you more about IHSS and the particular services you need. You will discuss how often you need those services.
- A healthcare professional must complete a certification on your behalf, regarding your medical condition and need for services.
- A specialist in eligibility will determine what costs, if any, you may be required to pay for the services you receive.
Professionals, such as hospital discharge planners, may also submit a referral online at the AIS Web Portal, if registered for access. Professionals who are interested in becoming registered web referral users can register online at: www.aiswebreferral.org.