Public Health Champion Awards Ceremony
County of San Diego Announces the 2019 Public Health Champion Awards
What Is This Event?
The County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA) is proud to announce the 2019 Live Well San Diego 18th Annual Public Health Champion Awards ceremony. This event recognizes extraordinary achievements, by an individual and organization, in areas of public health service that protect and promote the health of the local population. The awards were created to honor the role of public/private collaborations that advance optimal health and wellness in the county’s diverse populations.
What Is This Year's Theme?
In addition to the individual and organization awards, a theme award is presented. This year’s theme award will recognize achievements related to the 2019 National Public Health Week theme: “Creating the Healthiest Nation: For Science. For Action. For Health.” Visit the National Public Health Week website for a full description of the daily themes. These themes embody the vision of Live Well San Diego and the County’s strategic mission. The daily themes include the following:
- Healthy Communities
- Violence Prevention
- Rural Health
- Technology and Public Health
- Global Health
When Is This Year's Event?
National Public Health Week, with the theme Creating the Healthiest Nation: For Science. For Action. For Health. – is April 1-7, 2019. The Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Awards Ceremony is the County’s annual signature event for National Public Health Week.
The 2019 event is scheduled for Friday April 5, 2019, from 2-4 p.m., with a reception to follow, at the County Administration Center located at 1600 Pacific Highway, San Diego, CA 92101, in Room 310. Award recipients will be individually recognized and each recipient’s name will be added to a permanent plaque located in the HHSA Health Services Complex lobby.
Live Well San Diego Public Health Champions Awards Ceremony is a program of Live Well San Diego, a long-term vision for improving the health and wellness of all San Diegans.
2018 Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Recipients
In 2018, in honor of the National Public Health Week theme of Healthiest Nation 2030: Changing Our Future Together, 19 Live Well San Diego Public Health Champions (listed below) were recognized for their outstanding work and contributions. View photos from the event. View the complete list of the 198 Live Well San Diego Public Health Champions selected from 2002 through 2018.
- Alliance Healthcare Foundation
- Champions for Health
- Darlene Shiley
- Georges C. Benjamin, M.D.
- Robert Hertzka, M.D.
- Salud+Health Info
- San Diego State University Graduate School of Public Health
- Voice & Viewpoint
Public Health Services Awardees:
- Delores A. Jacobs, Ph.D. – Theme
- Jeannette L. Aldous, M.D. – Individual
- San Diego County Breastfeeding Coalition – Organization
- UCSD Shiley EyeMobile for Children – Organization
Regional and Aging and Independence Services Awardees:
- Susan S. Levy, Ph.D. – Aging and Independence Services
- The Urban Collaborative Project – Central Region
- Boys & Girls Clubs of South County – South Region
- McAlister Institute – East Region
- San Diego County Credit Union – North Central Region
- Adriana Paulson, M.P.A., M.Ed., M.S.W. – North Coastal Region
- Susan Writer, Ph.D. – North Inland Region
General Criteria for Nominees
Candidates for the Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Awards may be individuals (community leaders/representatives), or organizations (from the private sector or government sectors) and must:
- Live and work in San Diego County;
- Exemplify exceptional achievement, longstanding excellence, outstanding leadership, and have made contributions that have advanced the community’s health; and
- Demonstrate achievements in protecting and promoting the health of the San Diego County population (minimum of 10 years).
Prior nominees, who were not award winners, are again eligible for nomination. Past award recipients are not eligible.
- Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Award – Theme: “Creating the Healthiest Nation: For Science. For Action. For Health.”
- Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Award—Individual
- Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Award—Organization
- Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Awards—Regional and AIS (one award given in each of the six HHSA regions and Aging and Independence Services)
*Note: HHSA employees are not eligible to receive the Live Well San Diego Public Health Champions Awards
Specific Award Criteria for Nominees
All nominees/organizations are required to have a minimum of 10 years of experience in public health.
1. Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Award – Theme:
“Creating the Healthiest Nation: For Science. For Action. For
This award will honor an individual or organization that has demonstrated outstanding contributions in the area related to the theme of the annual National Public Health Week. The 2019 award winner should exemplify achievements in public health that have promoted prevention and good health and created a ripple effect throughout San Diego County communities.
The following award categories do not have to be related to the National Public Health Week theme:
2. Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Award – INDIVIDUAL
This award honors an individual who has made outstanding contributions to the prevention of disease, or injury and/or the promotion of health, in the San Diego County community. Nominees may be professional/nonprofessional, community leaders, representatives, or volunteers for example: educators, health professionals (e.g., doctors, nurses), administrators, journalists, lawyers, or community organizers.
3. Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Award – ORGANIZATION
This award honors a community organization that has made outstanding contributions to the prevention of disease, or injury and/or the promotion of health, in the San Diego County community. Nominees may be public, private or not-for-profit and represent education, social welfare, journalism, medicine, law, a community organization or other appropriate entity.
4. Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Awards – REGIONAL & AGING & INDEPENDENCE SERVICES
Nominations are submitted by the Directors of Regional Operations of the six HHSA regions and the Aging and Independence Services (AIS) Department on a specific Regional and Department Nomination Form.
These awards acknowledge individuals or organizations that have made outstanding contributions to the prevention of disease, injury and/or the promotion of health in their targeted areas. These awards are restricted to individuals or organizations that have a working relationship with one of the six HHSA regions and AIS. One winner from each region and AIS will be selected.
Thank you for your support in recognizing our local public health champions!
If you have further questions, please contact Nora Bota at (619) 542-4120 or Nora.Bota@sdcounty.ca.gov.
The Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Awards Ceremony is a component of Live Well San Diego, a long-term vision for improving the health and wellness of all San Diegans.