Public Health Champion Awards Ceremony
County of San Diego Announces the 2018 Public Health Champion Awards
The County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA) is proud to announce the Live Well San Diego 17th Annual Public Health Champion Awards. This honor recognizes extraordinary achievements, by an individual and organization, in areas of public health service that protect and promote the health of the local population. The awards were created to recognize the role of public/private collaboration in advancing optimal health and wellness in the county’s diverse populations.
In addition to the individual and organization awards, a theme award is presented. This year’s theme award will recognize achievements related to the 2018 National Public Health Week theme: “Healthiest Nation 2030: Changing Our Future Together.” Visit the National Public Health Week website for a full description of the daily themes. They embody the vision of Live Well San Diego and the County’s strategic mission. A brief description of these daily themes includes the following:
- Advocate for and promote well-being
- Learn about ways to prevent disease transmission
- Help protect and maintain a healthy planet
- Learn about the effects of injury and violence on health
- Advocate for everyone’s right to a healthy life
National Public Health Week, with the theme Healthiest Nation 2030: Changing Our Future Together, is April 2 – 8, 2018. The Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Awards Ceremony is the County’s annual signature event for National Public Health Week. The event is scheduled for Friday April 6, 2018, from 10 a.m.-12 p.m., with a reception to follow, at the County Administration Center located at 1600 Pacific Highway, San Diego, CA 92101, in Room 310. Award recipients will be individually recognized and each recipient’s name will be added to a permanent plaque located in the HHSA Health Services Complex lobby.
Live Well San Diego Public Health Champions Awards Ceremony is a program of Live Well San Diego, a long-term vision for improving the health and wellness of all San Diegans.
General Criteria for Nominees
Candidates for the Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Awards may be individuals (community leaders/representatives), or organizations (from the private sector or government sectors) and must:
- Live and work in San Diego County;
- Exemplify exceptional achievement, longstanding excellence, outstanding leadership, and have made contributions that have advanced the community’s health; and
- Demonstrate achievements in protecting and promoting the health of the San Diego County population (minimum of 10 years).
Prior nominees, who were not award winners, are again eligible for nomination. Previous award recipients are not eligible.
- Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Award – Theme: “Changing Our Future Together”
- Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Award—Individual
- Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Award—Organization
- Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Awards—Regional (one award given in each of the six HHSA regions and Aging and Independence Services)
*Note: HHSA employees are not eligible to receive the Live Well San Diego Public Health Champions Awards
Specific Award Criteria for Nominees
All nominees/organizations are required to have a minimum of 10 years of experience in public health.
1. Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Award – Theme:
“Changing Our Future Together”
This award will honor an individual or organization that has demonstrated outstanding contributions in the area related to the theme of the annual National Public Health Week. The 2018 award winner should exemplify achievements in public health that have promoted prevention and good health and created a ripple effect throughout San Diego County communities.
The following award categories do not have to be related to the National Public Health Week theme:
2. Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Award – INDIVIDUAL
This award honors an individual who has made outstanding contributions to the prevention of disease, or injury and/or the promotion of health, in the San Diego County community. Nominees may be professional/nonprofessional, community leaders, representatives, or volunteers for example: educators, health professionals (e.g., doctors, nurses), administrators, journalists, lawyers, or community organizers.
3. Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Award – ORGANIZATION
This award honors a community organization that has made outstanding contributions to the prevention of disease, or injury and/or the promotion of health, in the San Diego County community. Nominees may be public, private or not-for-profit and represent education, social welfare, journalism, medicine, law, a community organization or other appropriate entity.
4. Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Awards – REGIONAL & AGING & INDEPENDENCE SERVICES
Nominations are submitted by the Directors of Regional Operations of the six HHSA regions and the Aging and Independence Services (AIS) Department on a specific Regional and Department Nomination Form.
These awards acknowledge individuals or organizations that have made outstanding contributions to the prevention of disease, injury and/or the promotion of health in their targeted areas. These awards are restricted to individuals or organizations that have a working relationship with one of the six HHSA regions and AIS. One winner from each region and AIS will be selected.
Thank you for your support in recognizing our local public health champions!
Click here for the Call for Nominations
Click here for nomination criteria.
Click here for nomination form.
If you have further questions, please contact Nora Bota at (619) 542-4120 or Nora.Bota@sdcounty.ca.gov.
The Live Well San Diego Public Health Champion Awards Ceremony is a component of Live Well San Diego, a long-term vision for improving the health and wellness of all San Diegans.