Data and Reports
For more information call the Epidemiology Program at phone number 619-692-8499 or send us an e-mail.
The Data Analysis and Surveillance Unit (DASU) of the Epidemiology and Immunization Services Branch is responsible for the systematic collection, management, analysis, and dissemination of morbidity, mortality, and other health surveillance data.
DASU also provides technical assistance relating to health indicator data, thereby seeking to actively promote and disseminate information relevant to the health of people living in San Diego County, and to aid decision makers in setting policies, managing health issues, and identifying emerging health trends.
Reportable Communicable Diseases and Conditions
Tables and reports summarizing selected communicable diseases and conditions reported to Public Health Services.
Monthly Communicable Disease Surveillance Reports
These provide counts and year-to-date sums of selected diseases and conditions reported to Epidemiology & Immunization Services Branch.
- September 2019: HIV Disease
- August 2019: Mumps
- July 2019: Foodborne Disease Outbreaks
- June 2019: Pertussis
- May 2019: Typhoid Fever and Paratyphoid Fever
- April 2019: Scombroid and Ciguatera Fish Poisonings
- March 2019: Brucellosis
- February 2019: Yersiniosis
- January 2019: Measles
- December 2018: Varicella
- November 2018: Listeriosis
- October 2018: Campylobacteriosis
- September 2018: Cryptosporidiosis
- August 2018: Cyclosporiasis
- July 2018: Syphilis
- June 2018: Dengue, Chikungunya, and Zika Virus Infections
- May 2018: Shiga Toxin-Producing E. Coli
- April 2018: Giardiasis
- March 2018: Meningococcal Disease
- February 2018: Coccidioidomycosis
- January 2018: Norovirus
- December 2017: Necrotizing Fasciitis
- November 2017: Legionellosis
- October 2017: Viral Meningitis
- September 2017: Botulism
- August 2017: Vibriosis
- July 2017: West Nile Virus
- June 2017: Salmonellosis
- May 2017: Rabies
- April 2017: Shigellosis
- March 2017: Hepatitis A
- February 2017: Mumps
- January 2017: Pertussis
Annual Communicable Disease Reports
- Five-Year Table of Reportable Diseases and Conditions, 2014-2018
- Annual Communicable Disease Report 2017
- Annual Communicable Disease Report 2016
- Communicable Disease Report, 2007 - provides an overview of select communicable disease incidents reported to Epidemiology & Immunization Services Branch
Hospital Patient Discharge Data (PDD)
Hospital patient discharge data is distributed by the California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD). Data include a de-identified record for each inpatient discharged from a California licensed hospital, including general acute care, acute psychiatric, chemical dependency recovery, and psychiatric health facilities.
Numbers are for discharges, not persons, because a person may have more than one hospitalization during a year.
- Patient Discharge Summary Report, 2008-2012 (Updated October 2014)
- Patient Discharges by Selected Principal Diagnoses (Updated October 2014)
Selected Causes for Patient
Hospitalizations (Updated October 2014)
Life expectancy is used as a health indicator to gauge the general health of a population, and health disparities among sub-populations. It is presented as the average number of years a person born a certain year is expected to live, given the current age-specific mortality rates applied to each age group of the current population.
- Overall Life Expectancy Trends in San Diego, 1990-2009
- Life Expectancy by Region, 2008-09
- Life Expectancy by Race/Ethnicity, 2000-09
Expectancy by Sex, 2000-09
Additional San Diego Health Statistics Resources
- California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD)
- Community Health Improvement Partners (CHIP)
- Community Health Statistics
- Demographic Data - San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG)
- San Diego County Child and Family Health and Well-Being Report Card
- United Way of San Diego
For more information, call the Epidemiology Program at telephone # 619-692-8499, or send us an e-mail.