Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program (CPSP)
For more information phone 619-692-8045 or send us an email.
The Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program (CPSP) was created to reduce morbidity and mortality among low-income women and their infants in California through enhanced prenatal care. CPSP provides a wide range of services to pregnant women from conception through 60 days postpartum.
CPSP is part of Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health (MCAH) and is required by the following authorities: Health & Safety Code, Sections 104560-104569 and 123475-123525; California Welfare and Institutions Code, Sections 14132(u) and 14134.5(a-j); and California Code of Regulations Title 22, Sections 51179-51179.0 and 51504.
- Increase first trimester prenatal care initiation.
- Increase postpartum visit.
- Increase access to providers that can provide appropriate services and level of care women of reproductive age.
- Give every baby a healthy start in life.
Medi-Cal eligible women who receive CPSP services are provided care that goes beyond routine obstetric services and include case coordination. CPSP care involves:
- Client orientation to comprehensive obstetric services.
- Initial assessment, trimester reassessments, postpartum assessment, interventions, and follow-up services in: obstetrics, nutrition, health education, and psychosocial services.
- Individual care plan.
- Referrals to Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), genetic screening, dental care, family planning, domestic violence, and more.
CPSP services in California are paid for by Medi-Cal and free to pregnant women who are eligible for Medi-Cal. Ask your doctor about CPSP services or call the Perinatal Care Network at 1-800-675-2229 to find out if you’re eligible for Medi-Cal or need help in finding a doctor.
Interested in Becoming a CPSP Provider?
A physician, certified nurse midwife, certified family or pediatric nurse practitioner, hospital, community clinic, or medical group that provides prenatal care can apply to become a CPSP provider. CPSP providers must be approved Medi-Cal providers and have their National Provider Identifier (NPI) registered with Medi-Cal.
The Perinatal Services Coordinator (PSC) can help with the application and certification process and provide ongoing support, technical assistance, and education for staff. Please call 619-542-4053 or send us an email.
Resources and Links
- CPSP is part of the California Department of Public Health MCAH. More information is available at https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CFH/DMCAH/CPSP/Pages/default.aspx.
- The Perinatal Care Network (PCN) is a toll-free phone line that links pregnant women to needed services and resources. For more information, call 1-800-675-2229.
For more information, call 619-692-8045 or send an email.
Webpage last updated 12/16/2019