Immunization Resources for Childcare Providers and Staff
The State of California requires children to receive certain immunizations to attend any private or public childcare center, day nursery, nursery school, family day care home, or development center. Laws also require staff and volunteers at these sites to show proof of certain vaccines as well.
As a childcare provider, you are required to enforce immunization
requirements, maintain immunization records for your site, and submit
reports. Make sure your site has a plan for collecting and
documenting vaccine requirements. Help your students and staff be
prepared on their first day! Here you will find resources available to
help childcare providers comply with California immunization
Immunization Requirements for Children, Staff and Volunteers at Childcare Facilities
Children enrolling in or continuing preschool/childcare must meet immunization requirements before starting and each age check point. In addition, the Day Care Facilities Immunization and Exceptions Law (SB792) requires staff and volunteers that work in a childcare settings to have certain immunizations before starting work. Below is a breakdown of the immunization requirements for children, staff, and volunteers.
The following vaccines are required for all children attending a childcare facility and at each age checkpoint:
Use the California Immunization Requirements for Pre-Kindergarten* handout to review and promote the required vaccines for children at your site.
- Requisitos de Vacunación de California para Pre-Kínder (Spanish)
*Parent-friendly versions are available on our Parent's and Guardians Resource page in multiple languages to handout and promote required vaccines.
The following vaccines are required for all staff and volunteers working at a childcare facility:
Use the Requirements for Employees and Volunteers at
Childcare Centers and Family Childcare Homes handout to review
and promote vaccines required for staff and volunteers.
The Immunization Unit provides no-cost trainings on state-mandated
immunization requirements at childcares,
pre-kindergartens, and K-12 schools.
Trainings are open to all staff that transcribe and review immunization records, including:
• School Nurses,
• School Administrators,
• School Registrars,
• Health Technicians,
• Health IT Staff,
• School Aids, and
• Medical Assistants
Health care providers and social service agencies are welcome to attend as well.
The following webpage provides a step-by-step guide to help staff verify and document student immunization status. Each step includes resources, handouts, and job aids needed to assist with enforcing immunization requirements, maintaining immunization records, and submitting reports.
Additional information can also be found in the California Immunization Handbook.
County of San Diego
- Vaccines for All Ages and Stages—Learn more about which vaccines are recommended at different stages in life
- School Vaccine Information for Parents and Guardians
- Immunization Material Request—Request immunization materials for your site, including posters, handouts, and California School Immunization Records (blue cards).
- Reportable Diseases and Conditions—Information on disease reporting requirements in San Diego County.
- Child Care Sector—Information for families with children under 5 and early care/education providers.
- San Diego Immunization Coalition (SDIC)
- Immunization Branch
EZIZ.org—A One Stop Shop for Immunization
Training and Resources
- California Immunizations Handbook (2021)—A guide on pre-kindergarten (child care) and school immunization requirements for programs and schools. Includes information on immunization requirements, conditional admission, documenting immunization records, and reporting.
- Vaccine Catch-up for School — Catch-up schedule to help track upcoming vaccine doses for students ages 7 or older that do not have an immunization record or are behind on their vaccines.
- Vaccine Acronyms & Abbreviations for Child Care and Schools
more information or to request materials,
contact the San Diego Immunization Unit via e-mail or call us at (866) 358-2966.