ATTENTION: As of July 2, 2021
The Office of Vital Records has been temporarily relocated, we will continue to provide services at the Medical Examiner’s Office located at:
5570 Overland Avenue
San Diego, CA. 92123
Vital Records - "Authorized Individuals" Law
Effective July 1, 2003, the California Health and Safety Code, Section 103526, permits only "Authorized Individuals" to receive regular certified copies of birth or death records. Those who are not authorized by law to receive a regular certified copy will receive a certified copy marked ''INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY.''
The law describes an
Authorized Individual as:
- The registrant (person listed on the certificate) or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant.
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code.
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business.
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or domestic partner of the registrant.
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate. If you are requesting a Certified Copy under a power of attorney, please include a copy of the power of attorney with the application form.
- A funeral director ordering certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of an individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive, of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of the Health and Safety Code.
In order to obtain a Certified Copy, you MUST complete the sworn statement included with the birth or death certificate application form and sign the statement under penalty of perjury. If you mail your request, your sworn statement MUST be notarized. If your mailed request indicates that you want a regular Certified Copy of a death certificate but does not include a notarized statement sworn under penalty of perjury, the request will be rejected as incomplete and returned to you without being processed.
For more information send us an email or phone (619) 692-5733.