Tobacco Retail Licensing in the Unincorporated Area of San Diego County
Notice of Tobacco Retail License Fee
Board Hearing Date Change: AN ORDINANCE AMENDING
ARTICLE XV-B OF THE SAN DIEGO COUNTY ADMINISTRATIVE CODE RELATING TO
HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES CHARGES AND FEES, has moved from the April
26, 2022, Board of Supervisors agenda and will now be heard on May
Effective July 2022, an annual Tobacco Retail License (TRL) fee will be required to obtain a license to sell tobacco products.
If you would like to learn more or provide comment on the proposed TRL Fee:
- Email comments or questions about the fee to: email@example.com.
- Join a community forum - For instructions on how to join the forums, please view the flyer here:
- Participate in the Board Hearing:
- Date: May 24, 2022
- Time: 9:00 A.M.
- Location: County Administration Center, 1600 Pacific Highway, Room 310, San Diego, CA 92101
- Public participation: Those wishing to participate in the meeting and/or comment should visit the Clerk of the Board website at https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/cob/bosa.html.
- TRL Fee Documents
- Ordinance No. 10699, approved on December 8, 2020
- 4/19/22 Notice of Tobacco Retail License Fee to Retailers
- 5/9/22 Notice of Tobacco Retail License Fee to Retailers - Update
Tobacco retailers must apply for and receive an annual County of San Diego Tobacco Retail License (TRL) to sell tobacco products.
The County of San Diego will begin receiving and processing TRL applications on June 1, 2021.
Beginning in July 2022, retailers renewing their existing or applying for a new TRL must also submit a TRL application fee. The County of San Diego Board of Supervisors is expecting to pass a fee next year. Regardless of when the TRL is issued between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022, it must be renewed by July 1, 2022. Afterwards, TRLs must be renewed and application fees paid by July 1 of each year.
Below, you will find more information about the Tobacco Retail Licensing program, including the TRL application.
How to apply for a County of San Diego TRL:
To apply for a TRL, retailers must submit a TRL application with the required attachments, which include:
Retailers can submit their completed TRL application and required attachments in 2 ways:
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line: "TRL Application Your Business Name".
Ex: "TRL Aplication Tobacco Retailer"
Attention: TCRP Compliance Officer
Maternal, Child, & Family Health Services
3851 Rosecrans Street, P511H
San Diego, CA 92110-3115
Application processing will take a minimum of eight weeks. The County will not carry out compliance monitoring activities at a retailer whose application is being processed.
If you have questions and would like to schedule a virtual appointment with the Tobacco Control Resource Program Compliance Officer, e-mail email@example.com with the subject line "Technical Assistance Appointment."
To report a complaint about tobacco sales regulations in the unincorporated area of San Diego County, click below.
If you have questions, contact us at 619-542-4178 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources & Information
- Anticipated Health Impacts of the Tobacco Retail Licensing Program
- Requirements of the Tobacco Retail Licensing Ordinance
- Key Definitions of the Tobacco Retail Licensing Ordinance
- Compliance Monitoring of the Tobacco Retail Licensing Program
Webpage last updated 5/17/2022.