How to Transfer a Tobacco Retail License
Transfer of Ownership Application: Choose this category if:
- The license is being transferred to an immediate family member, defined as a parent, child, spouse, or domestic partner.
To complete your Transfer of Ownership Application Packet, you must do all of the following:
- Complete and sign the Application Form. Please include your store/DBA and ownership information. To complete this form electronically, use Adobe Reader © as described above.
- Review, initial, and sign the Affirmation Form, which helps retailers understand how to comply with all TRL program requirements. To complete this form electronically, use Adobe Reader © as described above.
- Complete and sign the Transfer of Ownership Certification Form. To complete this form electronically, use Adobe Reader © as described above. Remember, ownership can only be transferred to an immediate family member, defined as a parent, child, spouse, or domestic partner.
- Pay the TRL fee of $730 (plus processing charges) using this link: https://payments.lexisnexis.com/ca/sandiego/trl.
- Submit a copy of the current state Cigarette and Tobacco Products Retailer’s License. A copy can be downloaded as a PDF here: https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/.
- Submit a copy of a driver’s license or other government ID (applies to retailers who are individually owned or are a partnership or LLC).
Once you’ve completed the items above:
- Submit the complete application packet here: TRLApplications.HHSA@sdcounty.ca.gov. Please put TRL Application plus your store name in the subject line, as shown here: TRL Application XYZ Retailer.
- Save a copy of all documents for your records.
Retailers submitting a Transfer of Ownership Application Packet should submit a complete application packet for a County TRL within five days of receiving their new state Cigarette and Tobacco Products Retailer’s License.
WHEN TO EXPECT YOUR LICENSE: Issuing the TRL will take approximately four weeks after a complete application packet has been submitted.
Upon approval of the TRL application, the County will send the TRL to the business mailing address. Any changes to the information submitted on the application form must be emailed within five days of a change to TRLApplications.HHSA@sdcounty.ca.gov.
Back to the TRLP Homepage.
Webpage last updated 9/15/2023.