Voluntary Short-Term Disability with Paid Family Leave
This plan is designed for employees who do NOT pay into CA State Disability Insurance Tax (CA/SDI) through their paycheck.
The County of San Diego offers Voluntary Short-Term Disability Insurance with Paid Family Leave, administered by Lincoln Financial Group (LFG).
Short-Term Disability (STD)
When a non-work-related illness or injury makes it impossible for you to work for a short period of time, STD guards you against financial loss and helps protect your income.
- Benefit Waiting Period: Benefits begin after 7-day elimination period.
- Benefits: 60% of earnings, up to a maximum benefit of $1,620/week.
- Duration: Up to 3, 7 or 12 weeks.
- Premiums: Deductions are taken after-tax.
- Pre-existing condition: If you have a medical condition, including pregnancy, that begins before your coverage takes effect, and you receive treatment for this condition within the 3 months leading up to your coverage start date, you may not be eligible for disability benefits for that condition until you have been covered by the plan for 12 months.
- To File a Claim: Contact a Lincoln Claims Manager at 888-480-8710.
Please Note: Effective January 1st, 2022, employees no longer need to exhaust vacation balances to utilize the STD benefit.
Paid Family Leave (PFL)
We are adding a Paid Family Leave enhancement to our Voluntary Short-Term Disability plan! The PFL enhancement provides benefit payments to employees to take time off work to:
- Bond with a new child
- Care for a seriously ill family member
- Participate in a qualifying event because of a family member’s military deployment
This enhancement is designed to be similar to the Paid Family Leave benefit that is provided through the CA/SDI program.
- Benefit Waiting Period: none
- Benefits: 60 - 70% of earnings, up to a maximum benefit of $1,620/week.
- Duration: Up to 8 weeks.
- Premiums: Deductions are taken after-tax (included with STD premiums)
The PFL benefit will be available for qualifying events occurring January 1st, 2022 or later.
Contact the Provider
- Phone: 888-480-8710
- Group ID#: 800020
- Group Policy #: 010261914-00000
- Questions: COSD@lfg.com
- Claims: Claims@lfg.com
- Short-Term Disability 3 Weeks - Benefits Summary
- Short-Term Disability 7 Weeks - Benefits Summary
- Short-Term Disability 12 Weeks - Benefits Summary
- How to Make a Claim
- Leave of Absence Information