CODE COMPLIANCE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
|About Us|||||How We Enforce|||||Noise|||||Graffiti|||||Request for Investigation|||||Filing An Appeal|||||Contact Us|
- How much does it cost to obtain a building permit to resolve my building code violation?
A calculator can be found at Building Forms and Handout page which will help you estimate the costs of your project. These costs do not include your consultant fees and other fees charged by other County Departments and Agencies. Building permit fees charged by the Department are doubled on permits obtained to resolve violation cases. The purpose is to partially recover enforcement costs.
- How much does it cost to obtain a Discretionary Permit, like a Major Use Permit, Administrative Permit, Site Plan, or Variance, which will resolve my Zoning Violation?
Contact the Zoning Counter at (888) 267-8770 and they will assist you with obtaining an estimated cost. Be sure and let them know you are trying to resolve a violation on your property. This estimate will not include costs to obtain a building permit if one is also necessary. There will also be an enforcement fee charged to recover enforcement costs.
- Do I need a building permit for a temporary structure?
Yes, the County Building Code requires it.
- Does the County require permits for a fence?
Sometimes. The County Building Code requires a building permit on all fences over 6 ft. high. If you want a fence over 42 in. high in your front yard area, you may need an Administrative Permit. Contact the Zoning Department at (888) 267-8770 before you build the fence. The Department must make specific findings before granting an Administrative Permit so there is no guarantee one will be granted for your fence.
- As a new property owner, do I now need to fix any violations caused by a prior owner?
Yes, as the new property owner you have now become responsible for all violations that existed on the parcel prior to your purchase. This includes all Building, Grading, Clearing, and Zoning violations. Buyer Beware!
- Do I need a permit for a Sea Cargo Container?
Maybe, containers are considered a structure and if the Building Code does not exempt the container you are required to obtain a building permit. Please check with the Building Division (888) 336-7553.
- Do I need a permit for a Park Model trailer?
State law defines Park Model trailers as recreational vehicles so a building permit cannot be issued for them.
- Can I make a Park Model trailer my permanent residence?
No, Park Model Trailers are recreational vehicles registered as a vehicle with the State. The County does not allow a Park Model or any recreational vehicle to be used as a permanent residence.
- How many recreational vehicles can I store on my property?
One. It must be owned by someone who lives on the property, no one can live in it and it cannot be connected to any utilities.
- If I want to put a structure on my property that doesn’t require a building permit can I put it anywhere on my property?
No, the County Zoning Ordinance may still restrict you from doing so. You should contact the Zoning Department at (888) 267-8770 before you place the structure.
- Will the County remove graffiti from my property?
Not automatically. The County can remove it if you don’t voluntarily; however you will be required to reimburse the County for all of its costs in doing so. Since the County contractors must meet certain requirements (insurance and licensing) and can charge you for administrative costs it would be less expensive for you to remove the graffiti yourself.
- I live on a private easement road; can Code Compliance make someone remove their parked vehicle, structure or fence from blocking the road?
No, issues regarding private road easements are a civil matter between neighbors. You may want to contact your local Fire District to see if blockage of the private road in anyway prevents emergency response vehicles from getting to properties and violates the Fire Code.