Child Care Administration
Finding subsidized child care
The State of California has some programs that provide child care for some families with limited financial resources. To be eligible for child care services, a family must be participating in CalWORKs Welfare-to-Work activities or have limited income. The Stage 1 child care program is administered through the County of San Diego, and all other programs are administered by other local agencies.
CalWORKs Welfare-to-Work participants can get subsidized child care through a voucher program. If you are in Welfare-to-Work now, you can talk to your case manager.
If you are not in Welfare-to-Work, there are also some state-funded programs for low-income workers. All State-funded programs use the same eligibility list. To sign up for all the programs at once, visit the Centralized Eligibility List or call 800-521-0560.
- If you have questions or concerns about your subsidized child care:
- First contact your case worker.
- If that doesn’t resolve the issue, contact the case worker’s supervisor.
- If that still doesn’t resolve the issue, contact the County by email or phone 619-515-4225 or toll free 855-529-1684.
- Information on applying for CalWORKs
- Finding child care:
- YMCA Childcare Resource Service or 800-481-2151
- Child Care and Development Planning Council
- Family Child Care Licensing: How to become a family child care provider
- Inquire or complain about a provider or 619-767-2200
- Child Welfare Services
- Child Safety Seats
- Child Protective Services Hot Line or 800-344-6000.
- Access, San Diego County’s online Customer Service Center or 866-262-9881
- Thrive San Diego – IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program: Free tax preparation services are available for low- to moderate-income individuals and families (generally, $49,000 and below). Qualified individuals and families can get up to $5,600 (with children) or $457 (no children) in Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Getting EITC dollars will not affect CalWORKs, CalFresh (formerly known as Food Stamps) or Medi-Cal benefits. Call 2-1-1 to find a free tax preparation site near you and to get more information. You can also log on to http://www.thrivesandiego.org/index_files/aboutvita.htm.