MMIC How to Apply
For more information phone (619) 692-5723 or send us an email.
San Diego County residents with a serious medical condition. Qualifying conditions are:
- Chronic Pain
- Severe nausea
- Persistent muscle spasms
- Any other chronic or
persistent medical condition that either:
- limits their ability to conduct one or more major life activity as defined by the American Disability Act of 1990; or
- may cause harm if not alleviated.
Application forms can be obtained by mail, in person or online in English and Spanish.
Completed applications are accepted by appointment only. To schedule an appointment please call (619) 692-5723.
At the time of your application submission, you must present the following:
- A completed Medical Marijuana Identification Card (MMIC) Application/Renewal Form.
- A valid government-issued photo ID, such as current and valid motor vehicle driver's license or identification card issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV). This includes United States Passport or a Veteran's Administration Card.
- Proof of residency in San Diego County such as a current and valid California Motor Vehicle registration, a current rent/mortgage receipt or utility bill. This proof must have patient's name bearing current physical address within the county. Please ensure that the documents are clear and legible with no erasures, whiteouts or any alterations.
- Written documentation or the CDPH 9044 form from your physician recommending the use of medical marijuana as appropriate for one or more serious medical conditions. This documentation must include an original signature and be on the physician's business letterhead or on the "Written Documentation of Patient's Medical Records" form (CDPH 9044). The medical condition is NOT to be listed.
- Your physician's name, contact information and California medical license number.
- Non-refundable application fee of $100 (or $50 for Medi-Cal beneficiaries.) Acceptable forms of payment are cash, cashier's checks, money orders--no personal checks are accepted. Credit and debit cards are accepted through VitalChek with a $2.50 convenience fee.
- Current Benefit Identification Card (BIC) and/or Medi-Cal card if you are a Medi-Cal beneficiary.
- Proof of emancipation; non-emancipated minors must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
Primary Caregivers, if any, must provide the following documentation with their application:
- A valid government-issued photo ID, such as current and valid motor vehicle driver's license or identification card issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
- Proof of residency in California. Some restrictions apply, please ask for details.
- Non-refundable application fee of $100 (or $50 for caregivers of Medi-Cal beneficiaries)
- Caregivers must accompany the patient when submitting the application.
- All appeals are handled by the State.
- Should your application be denied and you wish to appeal, please complete the Denial Appeals Application Form, and mail this form along with a copy of your denied application to the State at:
California Department of Public Health
Office of County Health Services
Appeals Desk, Medical Marijuana Program
P.O. Box 997377 Sacramento, CA 95899-7377
- The appeals paperwork must be completed within 30 calendar days from the date you were notified of your application denial.
- For further information on the appeals process, please contact the State's Medical Marijuana Program at (916)-552-8600.
NOTE: It is unlawful to operate any vehicle while under the influence of any alcoholic beverage or other drug. This includes all prescription medications, over-the-counter preparations and any other substance that may cause impairment when driving.
Signed and completed application(s), with supporting documentation, must be submitted in person. Applications will be accepted by appointment only. If you do not wish to return to our office to pick up your Medical Marijuana Identification Card (MMIC) once approved, you may bring a pre-paid Fed Ex envelope with you to your appointment. The San Diego County Medical Marijuana Identification Card (MMIC) staff members are looking forward to serving you. If you have any questions regarding this process, please call (619) 692-5723 or visit the Frequently Asked Questions link.
Facilities where this service is offered:
- Health Services Complex - Rosecrans
3851 Rosecrans St. Ste 802
San Diego, CA 92110
Hours of Operations: Monday through Friday 9am to 4pm; by APPOINTMENT(S) ONLY.
For additional information or to schedule an appointment please call
(619) 692-5723. Se habla Español.
All of the above forms can also be found in Spanish below: