Apply for a passport
The County of San Diego accepts applications for U.S. passports. We
forward applications to the U.S. Department of State, which issues the
You need an appointment to submit your passport application at the
County Administration Center.
You can schedule an appointment up to two weeks in advance.
If no timeslots are displayed, we are fully booked for the next two
weeks. Check again later for cancellations and new
Fees depend on what you apply for. You can pay by check, cash, or
money order. We do not accept credit cards or debit cards.
The U.S. Department of State handles the final processing and issuance of passports.
Current processing times:
Routine service: 7 to 10 weeks
Expedited service: 3 to 5 weeks
You can check your application status on the Department of State website.
- Complete the form
- Proof of U.S. citizenship
- Proof of identity
- Passport photo
- Make an appointment and appear in person
Use the Form DS-11. It is on the State Department website.
Fill it out in black ink but do not sign.
You need to submit citizenship documents with your application. The
State Department will return your original documents when processing
Acceptable citizenship documents include:
- Certified Copy of your Birth Certificate issued by the state,
city, or county where you were born. A Certified Copy will have a
raised, embossed, impressed, or multicolored seal and the date the
certificate was filed.
An abstract birth certificate from California or Texas is not acceptable.
If you were born in the County of San Diego, you can buy a certified copy of your birth certificate from the County Recorder in Room 260, County Administration Center.
See where to get a birth certificate in each state.
you were born abroad, bring one of these documents:
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Certification of Birth. A Puerto Rican birth certificate is
acceptable if it is issued after July 1, 2010.
- An old passport book or card that:
- Is not damaged;
- Is a 10-year adult passport or 5-year minor passport; and
- Acceptable if expired
Provide one of these photo IDs:
- A valid driver’s license or state-issued identification
- A previously issued U.S. passport book or card
- Government or military identification
- A Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
- Trusted Traveler IDs (Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, or NEXUS)
parents or legal guardians applying for minors:
- Valid Foreign Passport
- U.S. Permanent Resident Card
- Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID)
Photos must meet State Department rules.
We can take a photo when you come for your appointment. Passport photos are $11.
There are two fees:
- Acceptance fee: Pay by cash, check, or money order to the County of San Diego.
- Application fee: Pay by check or money order to the U.S. Department of State.
You can buy a money order from our facility for a $2.00 fee.
We do not accept credit or debit cards. An ATM is available on the 4th floor of the building.
Visit our fees information page for processing options and costs.
All passport applicants must appear in person, including minors under age 16.
Rules for children
Applicants - children under age 16
All parents or legal guardians must consent for their child to get a passport. Parents must submit a birth certificate or legal documents showing guardianship. Parents/guardians and minor applicants must appear in person. If a parent cannot appear, they must provide a notarized consent form (Form DS-3053) and a copy of the front and back of their ID.
Applicants - children age 16 or 17
Applicants age 16 or 17 must appear in person with at least one parent.
1600 Pacific Highway
San Diego, CA 92101
If you have business at the County Administration Center, you can
park free for three hours in the underground parking garage on Ash
Street. The entrance is between Pacific Highway and North Harbor
Drive. There is also metered street parking around the
Take San Diego Trolley Green Line or Blue Line to the County
Center/Little Italy station.
MTS bus routes stopping at County Administration Center: 280, 290, 923, 992.
If you are traveling in less than 2 weeks, you can make an
appointment to apply in person at the San
Diego Passport Agency. You need to:
- Have an appointment.
- Pay an additional expedited fee.
- Show proof of immediate international travel.
You can make an appointment by calling the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778. The San Diego Passport Agency is at 401 West A Street, 10th Floor, San Diego, CA 92101.
Check the status of your application
Contact the U.S. Department of State:
- Call the National Passport Information Center at
- Visit the Passport Application Status page.
Learn about how you can volunteer to help with passport photos.