Apply for a passport

U.S. passport


The County of San Diego accepts applications for U.S. passports. We forward applications to the U.S. Department of State, which issues the passports. 

If your U.S. Passport was lost or damaged during the recent floods, please see the Department of State’s Replacing your U.S. Passport after a Disaster. Or you can call them at 1-877-487-2778 to ask about replacing your passport at no cost.

New passport 

You need an appointment to submit your passport application at the County Administration Center.  

You can schedule an appointment up to two weeks in advance.  

If no timeslots are displayed, we are fully booked for the next two weeks. Check again later for cancellations and new appointments. 



Fees depend on what you apply for. You can pay by check, cash, or money order. We do not accept credit cards or debit cards. 

See types of passports and fees


Processing time 

The U.S. Department of State handles the final processing and issuance of passports.

Current processing times:

Routine service: 6 to 8 weeks

Expedited service: 2 to 3 weeks

You can check your application status on the Department of State website. 


Complete the form 

Use the Application for a U.S. Passport (Form DS-11, PDF). Or you can use a form filler on the State Department website

Fill it out in black ink but do not sign.  


Proof of U.S. citizenship 

You need to submit citizenship documents with your application. The State Department will return your original documents when processing has completed. 

Acceptable citizenship documents include: 

  • Certified Copy of your Birth Certificate issued by the state, city, or county where you were born. A Certified Copy will have a raised, embossed, impressed, or multicolored seal and the date the certificate was filed.

    An abstract birth certificate from California or Texas is not acceptable.

    If you were born in the County of San Diego, you can buy a certified copy of your birth certificate from the  County Recorder in Room 260, County Administration Center. 

    See where to get a birth certificate in each state.
  • If you were born abroad, bring one of these documents: 
    • Certificate of Naturalization 
    • Certificate of Citizenship  
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad 
    • Certification of Birth. A Puerto Rican birth certificate is acceptable if it is issued after July 1, 2010. 
  • An old passport book or card that: 
    • Is not damaged;
    • Is a 10-year adult passport or 5-year minor passport; and
    • Acceptable if expired  


Proof of identity 

Provide one of these photo IDs: 

  • A valid driver’s license or state-issued identification card 
  • A previously issued U.S. passport book or card 
  • Government or military identification
  • A Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Trusted Traveler IDs (Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, or NEXUS) 
  • For parents or legal guardians applying for minors: 
    • Valid Foreign Passport 
    • U.S. Permanent Resident Card
    • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) 


Passport photo

Photos must meet State Department rules.

We can take a photo when you come for your appointment. Passport photos are $11. 



There are two fees: 

  • Acceptance fee: Pay by cash, check, or money order to the County of San Diego.   
  • Application fee: Pay by check or money order to the U.S. Department of State. 

You can buy a money order from our facility for a $2.00 fee. 
(Please note that we are unable to print money orders at this time)

We do not accept credit or debit cards. An ATM is available on the 4th floor of the building. 

Visit our fees information page for processing options and costs.


Make an appointment and appear in person 

All passport applicants must appear in person, including minors under age 16. 

Expand All | Collapse All

  • Rules for children

    Applicants  - children under age 16

    All parents or legal guardians must consent for their child to get a passport. Parents must submit a birth certificate or legal documents showing guardianship. Parents/guardians and minor applicants must appear in person. If a parent cannot appear, they must provide a notarized consent form (Form DS-3053) and a copy of the front and back of their ID.  

    Applicants - children age 16 or 17 

    Applicants age 16 or 17 must appear in person with at least one parent.  


Office location 

1600 Pacific Highway 
Room 402 
San Diego, CA 92101


If you have business at the County Administration Center, you can park free for three hours in the underground parking garage on Ash Street. The entrance is between Pacific Highway and North Harbor Drive. There is also metered street parking around the building. 


Take San Diego Trolley Green Line or Blue Line to the County Center/Little Italy station. 

MTS bus routes stopping at County Administration Center: 280, 290, 923, 992. 

MTS website


Rush services 

There are walk-in passport services throughout the County. See a list of facilities nearby or visit the State Department list of acceptance facilities.  

If you are traveling in less than 2 weeks, you can make an appointment to apply in person at the San Diego Passport Agency. You need to: 

  • Have an appointment. 
  • Pay an additional expedited fee.  
  • Show proof of immediate international travel.  

You can make an appointment by calling the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778. The San Diego Passport Agency is at 401 West A Street, 10th Floor, San Diego, CA 92101. 


Check the status of your application 

Contact the U.S. Department of State: 


Watch how to apply for a passport


Volunteer Opportunities 

Learn about how you can volunteer to help with passport photos