For more information send us an email or phone 619-692-5733.
Pursuant to California Health & Safety Code 103050, a Permit for Disposition of Human Remains (Burial Permit) must be issued for each death at the time of registration for burial or cremation.
This information applies to the public who are requesting a Permit for Disposition of Human Remains.
A Permit for Disposition of Human Remains (Burial Permit) must be issued for each death at the time of registration for burial or cremation. If cremated remains are divided for placement at more than one location, a Permit for Disposition of Human Remains (Burial Permit) must be issued for each location. In addition, a burial permit is needed for the following:
- Shipping the remains out of the state or country.
- Scattering cremains on land or at sea.
- Deeming the remains for scientific use.
- Shipping the remains into the State of California.
- When disinterment is required for moving the remains to another location other than a new location within the same cemetery.
- When remains are temporarily stored.
Burial permits can be obtained in person or by mail.
To Obtain a Burial Permit IN PERSON
To obtain a burial permit you will need the following information and documents available when you arrive:
1. The decedents full name
2. Date of birth
3. Date of death
4. City of Death
5. County (if death occurred in California)/ State (if death occurred outside California)
6. An original death certificate or an original transit/burial permit
The cost for a burial permit is $12.00. Payment may be cash, check or money order payable to County of San Diego Public Health Services.
Our office is open: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday
To Obtain a Burial Permit BY MAIL
To request a burial permit, you need to completely fill out theApplication and Permit for Disposition of Human Remains. Its important that the permit is filled out completely in BLACK INK and correctly; Cross-outs, type-over, white outs, erasures, etc. are unacceptable. See sample on how to complete a burial permit.
Please return the completed permit along with an Original Death Certificate or Original Transit/Burial Permit. If your request does not include these items, it will be rejected as incomplete and returned to you without being processed.
The cost for a burial permit is $12.00. Payment may be check or money order payable to County of San Diego Public Health Services.DO NOT SEND CASH.
Office Mailing Address:
HHSA Office of Vital Records