For more information send us an email or phone 858-581-5800.
The Office of Violence Prevention (OVP) was established in 1994 by the Board of Supervisors, with a mission to promote healthy individuals and families by designing and developing violence prevention programs throughout San Diego County.
Violence Prevention for Youth
OVP focuses on efforts to reduce and prevent youth violence. OVP assists providers in strengthening programs by promoting the implementation of evidence-based and best practices.
The following resources are available to help provide safety tips for use when planning to leave an abusive relationship. Please remember that this can be one of the most dangerous times so you need to prepare yourself, children, and pets.
- American Bar Association Safety Plan
- Domestic Violence Personalized Safety Plan
- National Coalition against Domestic Violence
*Disclaimer : Safety planning information is presented for general educational and information purposes. It is not intended to be legal, medical or other expert advice and should not be used in place of consultation with appropriate professionals.
Hotlines and Important Phone Numbers
If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call 911.
- Child Protective Services: 1-800-344-6000
- Adult Protective Services, Abuse Reporting Line: 1-800-510-2020
- Animal Services, 24-hour Emergency Dispatch: 619-236-2341
- National Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-4-A-CHILD
- The National Domestic Violence Hotline provides 24-hour support through advocacy, safety planning, resources, and hope to everyone affected by domestic violence: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).
The following sections below provide links to family violence related resources on topics such as: safety planning, domestic violence, child abuse, youth violence, elder abuse, and animal abuse.
Domestic Violence Resources
- California Partnership to End Domestic Violence
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Division of Violence Prevention
- Futures Without Violence
- National Network to End Domestic Violence
- National Resource Center on Domestic Violence
Child Abuse Resources
- California Children and Families Commission
- California Department of Social Services Child Abuse Prevention
- County of San Diego HHSA Children's Services
- National Center on Child Abuse and Neglect Clearinghouse
- Prevent Child Abuse America
Youth Violence Resources
- Centers for Disease Control Division of Violence Prevention Youth Violence
- Striving to Reduce Youth Violence Everywhere
- U.S. Department of Justice Youth Violence Resources
- Youth Topic: Preventing Youth Violence
Elder Abuse Resources
- California Department of Aging
- County of San Diego Aging and Independence Services
- County of San Diego Network of Care for Seniors
- National Center on Elder Abuse
- National Institute on Aging
- Office of the Attorney General, Bureau of Medi-Cal Fraud and Elder Abuse
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services on Aging
Animal Abuse Resources
- Animal Abuse Prevention Agency, Inc.
- American Humane Association
- American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- County of San Diego Animal Services
- The National Link Coalition
- Rancho Coastal Humane Society Animal Safe House Program
Webpage last updated 02/19/2016.