Statement of Economic Interest (Form 700)

WHY File Form 700?

The Political Reform Act (Government Code Sections 81000-91015) requires most state and local government officials and employees to publicly disclose their personal assets and income.  They must also disqualify themselves from participating in decisions that may affect their personal financial interests.  The Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) is the State agency responsible for issuing the Statement of Economic Interest (Form 700), and for interpreting the law's provisions.


WHO Files?

This is determined by two Codes: Government Code Section 87200 and an agency's Conflict of Interest Code.

—Government Code Section 87200 Officials and Candidates: Specified in Gov. Code Section 87200 and Members of Boards and Commissions of Newly Created Agencies.

The following Elected Officers, identified in California Government Code Section 87200, file Statements of Economic Interests (Form 700’s) with the office of the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors:

  • Board of Supervisors
  • Chief Administrative Officer
  • County Counsel
  • District Attorney
  • Planning Commissioners
  • Treasurer - Tax Collector

Conflict of Interest Code for each agency: State and Local Officials, Employees, Candidates, and Consultants Designated in a Conflict of Interest Code (“Code Filers”).

Each department or agency has a Conflict of Interest Code that designates which employees must file Form 700, and includes information regarding disclosure categories. Disclosure categories set out the type of financial interests that must be reported by each official. 


Assistance in completing the form and in determining your disclosure requirements: contact your counsel or the Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) Advice Hotline at (866) 275-3772.


WHAT Must Be Filed?

Each designated employee must complete a Form 700:  

  • Assuming Office 
  • Annual
  • Leaving Office

The annual form covers January 1st through December 31st of the previous calendar year unless otherwise noted. 


WHEN Must Form 700 Be Filed?

The deadline for submitting the original annual Form 700 is April 1 of each year.  Specified Officials must file their Form 700 with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors.  Forms for all other staff must be date-stamped and maintained by the department or agency. 

  • Assuming Office:  within 30 days of the assumed office date
  • Annual: January 1st  to the deadline of April 1st of each year. 

Exception: if you assumed office between October 1st and December 31st, the Assuming Office Form 700 will act as both Assuming Office and Annual combined. 

  • Leaving Office:  within 30 days of the leaving office date

The Clerk of the Board of Supervisors must make these forms available for public review upon request at a cost of ten cents per page, with the retrieval fee not to exceed five dollars per request. You may want to take this into consideration when you are listing your address and telephone numbers.  Remember to file on time - any person who is referred to FPPC's Enforcement Division for not filing is subject to a $500.00 fine.



WHERE Must The Form 700 Be Filed?

The Form 700 can be filed either electronically in eDisclosure or by hard copy with original signature.

Specified Officials must file their Form 700 with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors.   These filers can submit their Form 700 to the Clerk of the Board through the eDisclosure online filing system or by mailng a hard copy.

Forms for all other staff must be hard copies date-stamped and maintained by their department or agency.

Designated Conflict of Interest Filers who file with the Clerk of the Board may now submit their Form 700 electronically using the eDisclosure online system.  Accessible online, eDisclosure makes it easier for filers to comply with reporting requirements.  This online program is secure and password-protected. Tutorials are accessible after you log in to eDisclosure.

For access to eDisclosure: contact the Clerk of the Board at (619) 531-5600.


Original hard copy Form 700s, with a transmittal sheet, shall be forwarded to:

    Clerk of the Board of Supervisors

    (Statement of Economic Interest)

    1600 Pacific Highway, Room 402

    San Diego, CA 92101-2471

If you would like further information from the Clerk of the Board department, please contact (619) 531-5600.



Copies of Statements of Economic Interests may be obtained by visiting the office of the Fair Political Practices Commission or the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors at:

  • Clerk of the Board of Supervisors: County Administration Center, 1600 Pacific Highway, Room 402, San Diego, California 92101
  • Fair Political Practices Commission: 428 J Street, Suite 620, Sacramento, CA 95814

Statements of Economic Interests for some state and local government agency elected officers may be available in electronic format on the Fair Political Practices Commission’s website.

This notice is posted in accordance with California Government Code Section 87505.