For more information send us an email or phone 1-866-358-2966.
Our goal is to reduce vaccine-preventable diseases by improving vaccine coverage for all San Diegans. Our tools are disease investigation/control, education, community collaboration, assessment, school law and the San Diego Immunization Registry. Relevant California Health and Safety Code Sections include 120100-122420, 120325-120380 and 120400-120435.
Flu Season Update--Fall 2016
For the 2016-17 flu season, the vaccine will be given at Public Health Centers and other locations throughout the County during the fall and winter months, and later. For 2016-17 flu season information, please visit our Immunization Program Influenza Season 2016-2017 web page. More information is also available at the Flu Update page on this website. You may also call 2-1-1 for flu shot clinic information.
County News Center Story: Season's First Flu-related Death Reported in County (10/6/16)
RELATED: Don't Believe Flu Myths! Visit our special Flu Myths page to learn the facts about some common flu and flu vaccine myths.
For Health Care Providers: For information about mandatory influenza vaccination or masking for health care personnel during influenza season, please visit this web page on the County Immunization Program website.
Day Care Facilities Immunization Law (SB792)
Information About The Immunization Exemption Law (SB277)
For information about the law, please visit the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Shots
for School website.
RELATED: SEE COUNTY NEWS CENTER VIDEO ABOUT THIS NEW LAW.
Three Immunization Clinics Offer Online Immunization Appointments
The Central Region Public Health Center (5202 University Ave., San
Diego, 92105) and the VIP Trailer (3177A Oceanview Blvd., San Diego,
92113) also offer appointments for immunizations (including influenza)
online, in addition to their walk-in immunization services. These
locations have joined the South Region Public Health Center in
offering this service. Click here to check out the Online Appointment System!
Appointments cannot be scheduled by telephone.
Eligibility For Immunizations at County Public Health Centers: Important Information
The following individuals are eligible to receive immunizations at County Public Health Centers:
- Children and adults who do not have health insurance.
- Adults whose health insurance does not include vaccines.
- Persons 0-18 years who are Alaskan Native or American Indian.
- Persons 0-18 years who have Medi-Cal or are Medi-Cal eligible. (Children with Healthy Families are not eligible and should go to their provider for vaccines.)
- Persons 6 months
and older in need of influenza (flu) vaccine regardless of health
Individuals are not eligible for vaccines if their insurance includes vaccinations, even if there are co-pays or deductibles.
If you have any questions regarding your eligibility for vaccines at County Public Health Centers, please call your local Center.
Services offered by Immunization Branch:
- San Diego County Immunization Program Website
- Foreign Travel Immunization Information
- San Diego Regional Immunization Registry
- Additional Immunization Links and Resources
- Immunization Clinic Schedule
- Immunization Clinic Locations
The San Diego County Immunization Program Mission is to eliminate vaccine preventable diseases by optimizing the ability of the San Diego community to immunize its residents.
The Program website contains a wealth of immunization information and can be accessed here: www.sdiz.org.
The Immunization Branch does not provide the vaccines needed for travel, but provides information about the vaccines and other protective measures that may be required or recommended for travel outside the United States.
For more information, including the locations of local physicians and clinics who give travel immunizations and medications, please visit the San Diego County Immunization Coalition Website Travel Immunization page here.
For general travelers' health information, persons may visit the National Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.
The San Diego Regional Immunization Registry (SDIR) is a collaborative effort of the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency Public Health Services Immunization Branch and other public and private health care providers, schools, child care providers and other county programs. The Registry provides an electronic record of all immunizations given to an individual by participating providers in both the public and private sectors. It is a secure web-based tool that helps doctors with their immunization practice management. The Registry increases patient satisfaction by decreasing unnecessary immunizations and decreases vaccine preventable diseases by identifying shots that are needed.
For more information, including a complete description of SDIR functions, features and technical requirements, go to http://www.sdiz.org/CAIR-SDIR/index.html to be redirected to the San Diego County Immunization Coalition Website.
For information on the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
Electronic Health Records Incentive Program, called “Meaningful
Use”, please go to http://www.SanDiegoCounty.gov/content/sdc/hhsa/
programs/phs/community_epidemiology/meaningful_use.html to be redirected to the County of San Diego Meaningful Use information page.
For more information about immunizations, the diseases they protect against and related subjects please see the following links and resources:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- CDC National Immunization Program
- CDC Hepatitis Branch
- CDC Hepatitis Branch - en español
- National Foundation for Infectious Disease
State and Local Resources
- California Department of Health Services, Immunization Branch
- YMCA Childcare Resource Services
- Inform San Diego - 211 Information
Links to General Vaccine Information
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia - Vaccine Education Center
- Immunization Action Coalition
- National Network of Immunization Information
- Parents of Kids with Infectious Diseases
- American Immunization Registry Association
- The Vaccine Page
- Alliance for Vaccines and Immunizations
Links to Adult Vaccine Information
Pandemic Influenza Preparedness
- County of San Diego HHSA, Pandemic Influenza
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services - Pandemic Influenza Site
- CDC Traveler's Health
- San Diego County Immunization Program Website:Travel Immunization and Medications
For more information send us an email or phone 1-866-358-2966.