Department of the Medical Examiner
Welcome to the web pages of the San Diego County Medical Examiner. The Medical Examiner Office is centrally located in Kearny Mesa in the County Operations Center. We are a full service agency, performing all of our investigations, toxicology, and forensic pathology in house. In the following pages, we hope you will find useful information about the services, education and research efforts of the Medical Examiner’s Office as well as collected data on our cases and important links.
In accordance with the County of San Diego Health Officer Order regarding COVID-19, starting Tuesday, April 7, 2020, we are adapting how our services are provided until further notice.
All authorizations and records requests are processed by MAIL or E-MAIL only:
- Authorizations to make arrangements for disposition or to release property
- Requests for Medical Examiner’s reports
- Subpoena service for records and/or appearance
Other services provided by APPOINTMENT only:
- Release of a decedent’s property, if not handled through a mortuary or funeral home
For mortuaries and funeral homes:
- Our releasing hours are unchanged at this time. Please see the Information for Funeral Directors page for any updates or changes.
Our phone and e-mail information services will remain available. Please e-mail or call to discuss your needs with a staff member, or to schedule an appointment before visiting our office.
- Main line: 858-694-2895
- E-mail Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailing Address: Office of the Medical Examiner, 5570 Overland Ave, Suite 101. San Diego, CA 92123
For more information from the County of San Diego about the coronavirus disease and real-time updates please visit www.sandiegocounty.gov/coronavirus or sign up for text message updates by texting COSD COVID19 to 468-311.
Check out our reports, which include annual statistics going back to 2000 as well as quarterly reports beginning in 2018. Our data is also available going back to 1997 on the County of San Diego open data portal.
Find out what to expect if you've experienced the loss of a loved one and our office has become involved.
Learn the steps necessary to obtain copies of the death certificate and reports from our office. Also, information regarding "pending" causes of death can be found here.
View an actively updated list of selected cases in the County
Our Bereavement Center can offer help for families in the difficult times following the loss of a loved one.
A map and address for our Department