CALL CENTER: 800-339-4661

In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)


IHSS helps seniors and disabled people with basic needs such as:

  • Bathing and grooming
  • Dressing
  • Cleaning the house
  • Shopping
  • Laundry
  • Making meals

Who May Apply

To get IHSS, you need to:
  • Meet financial eligibility guidelines
  • Be blind, disabled, or age 65 or older
  • Meet full-scope requirements for Medi-Cal
  • AND be unable to live at home safely without help
Financial eligibility:
  • People with Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment (SSI/SSP)
  • People without SSI/SSP may qualify but may need to pay part of the costs

How to Apply

You or someone you know may apply for you.

If you apply for a person under 18, apply using the minor's information.


Professionals, such as hospital discharge planners, may make a referral online. New users must first register at the HHSA Web Portal then submit referral at the IHSS/Case Management Portal


Call (800) 339-4661 to apply with Call Center staff.


Email the IHSS application to:

All other forms go to your social worker.

Mail or In Person

You can visit or send your IHSS application to one of these IHSS Offices: 

IHSS Office Address
El Cajon 389 N. Magnolia Avenue
  El Cajon, CA 92020
Escondido 649 W. Mission Avenue Ste.5
  Escondido, CA 92025
National City 401 Mile of Cars Way Ste.210
  National City, CA 91950
Oceanside 3708 Ocean Ranch Boulevard Ste.320 
  Oceanside, CA 92056
Overland 5560 Overland Avenue Ste.310
  San Diego, CA 92123
Southeastern Live Well Center 5101 Market Street Ste.2100
  San Diego, CA 92114

We can print an application at any of our offices.


Fax the IHSS application to (619) 344-8077.

All other forms go to your IHSS worker.

After You Apply

  • The IHSS worker will make an appointment to meet you at your home. 
  • The IHSS worker will talk with you about your medical condition, living arrangements, and help you get from your family, friends, or others.
  • The IHSS worker will also talk with you more about services you need and how often. 
  • A healthcare professional must complete a certification for you about your medical condition and need for services.
  • The IHSS worker will send you a Notice of Action informing you if you qualify for services, what services you qualify for, and if you have a share of cost.

Time Sheets

You may approve time sheets online using the Electronic Service Portal or by phone using the Telephone Timesheet System. 

More information on EVV for recipients and providers.

Get Involved

IHSS/Public Authority Advisory Committee

Visit the IHSS/Public Authority Advisory Committee site to join and become a member.


Quick Links