CALL CENTER: 800-339-4661
In-Home Supportive Services
The In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) program can provide homemaker and personal care assistance to eligible individuals who are receiving Supplemental Security Income or who have a low income and need help in the home to remain independent.
Having help with tasks around the house not only makes the lives of
seniors and the disabled easier, in some cases it allows the person to
remain at home. IHSS includes domestic and related services, and help
with personal care such as:
- Bathing and grooming
- Meal preparation and cleanup
To be eligible for IHSS, an individual must:
- Fall within the financial eligibility guidelines
- Be blind, disabled, or age 65-plus
- Meet eligibility requirements for full-scope Medi-Cal
- AND be unable to live at home safely without help
- Persons receiving SSI/SSP
- Persons not receiving SSI/SSP may be eligible, but might be required to pay part of the costs
You, or any person acting on behalf of an applicant, may submit an application to Aging & Independence Services (AIS) using one of the methods below. If you are applying on behalf of an applicant, please ensure that the IHSS application is completed with the applicant’s information (even if the applicant is a minor).
Professionals, such as hospital discharge planners, may also submit a referral online at the AIS Web Portal: www.aiswebreferral.org.
Call (800) 339-4661 to complete an application with Call Center staff.
Mail or In Person
Complete and submit
application through mail or in-person to one of the following IHSS
|IHSS Regional Office||Address|
|El Cajon||389 N. Magnolia Avenue|
|El Cajon, CA 92020|
|Escondido||649 W. Mission Avenue Ste.5|
|Escondido, CA 92025|
|National City||401 Mile of Cars Way Ste.210|
|National City, CA 91950|
|Oceanside||3708 Ocean Ranch Blvd Ste.320|
|Oceanside, CA 92056|
|Overland||5560 Overland Avenue Ste.310|
|San Diego, CA 92123|
If needed, an application can be printed upon request at any of the IHSS regional offices.
Complete and fax the IHSS application to (619) 344-8077.
All other IHSS correspondence should be sent to the assigned IHSS worker.
After You Have Applied
Once your completed application is received,
- The IHSS worker will make an appointment to meet with you at your home. The IHSS worker will talk with you about your medical condition, living arrangements and any help you might be getting from your family, friends, or others.
- The IHSS worker will also talk with you more about IHSS and the particular services you need. You will discuss how often you need those services.
- A healthcare professional must complete a certification on your behalf, regarding your medical condition and need for services.
- A specialist in eligibility will determine what costs, if any, you may be required to pay for the services you receive.
Time Sheets: Electronic Visit Verification-EVV
For more information about EVV for recipients and providers, please click here.
IHSS/Public Authority Advisory Committee
The mission of the committee is to serve as the voice of the consumer on issues that impact the IHSS program. Meetings are held the 2nd Friday of each month and are open to the public and all IHSS recipients. Learn more about participation and becoming a member at www.sdihsspa.com/advisorycmte/.