Apply for Rental Assistance
Rental Assistance Programs
- Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV)
- Public Housing
- Housing for Persons with AIDS-HIV (HOPWA)
- Project-Based Voucher (PBV)
- Moderate Rehabilitation (Mod Rehab)
Directions and Information
- You may apply online at any time, but it is important you apply only once.
- After you have completed your application and clicked “submit”, you will receive a confirmation number that tells you we have received it.
- You will need to print the confirmation page, or have pen and paper ready to write down your confirmation number. Please don’t lose that number. You will not receive a separate confirmation letter.
- If you need a place to stay tonight or in the near future, please call 2-1-1 or visit the website: 211sandiego.org
- We do not discriminate because of age, ancestry, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), disability (mental and physical) including HIV and AIDS, marital status, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, national origin, race, sex (which includes pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression and/or sexual orientation.
When You Apply
- Before you begin to fill out the application, be prepared with the names, social security numbers, dates of birth and annual income for all family members.
- Use only letters in names, no hyphens (-).
- Addresses must contain numbers and letters. Example: 345 Main St.
- If you are already on one of our waiting lists, you can update your existing application.
You must always respond to our letters. If you do not respond or if your letter is returned as undeliverable, your name will be removed from the waiting list.
The Waiting List
- After you submit your application, your name will be added to the waiting list within 24-48 hours.
- We will send a letter to you when your name reaches the top of the waiting list or if we are updating our files.
- Be sure to keep your address current. Here you can make changes to your application.
- You must always respond to our letters. If you do not respond or if your letter is returned as undeliverable, your name will be removed from the waiting list.
- You will want to change your application, for example, if you move, add someone to your family or if your income changes.
- You will create a user name and password when you update your application. Please keep a copy of them so you can return to the site to make changes.
- Your password must be composed of at least eight characters, which includes one upper case and one lower case letter, one number, and one special character that is not a letter or a number, for example: @ # $ % ^ & * ( ).