Public Health Preparedness and Response
The Public Health Preparedness and Response (PHPR) Branch coordinates with emergency management agencies, community organizations, medical providers, prehospital provider agencies (fire/EMS), hospitals, clinics, skilled nursing facilities, businesses and other partners in developing public health and disaster preparedness by dissemination of risk assessments, trainings and public health guidance.
This includes but is not limited to:
- Medical & specialty care surge
- Disaster planning, exercises and response operations
- Special event planning
- Medical Health Operational Area Coordination (MHOAC) Program
- Ambulance Strike Teams (AST)
- National Disaster Medical Systems (NDMS) planning and operations with the local Federal Coordinating Center (FCC)
- Public Health Emergency Preparedness
- Mass Prophylaxis
- NDMS bed count (assessment of available hospital beds)
Healthcare Disaster Coalition
The San Diego Health Disaster Coalition advises the County of San Diego (CoSD) Health and Human Services Agency, Public Health Services, and Division of Public Health Preparedness and Response (PHPR) Branch on the community’s health and medical disaster preparedness.
For more information, contact the Public Health Emergency Preparedness Unit at (619) 285-6434.