Diversion Services

Diversion Services provides an alternative to CalWORKs cash assistance for families with dependent children who experience an unexpected financial hardship and need help to keep employment.


In San Diego County, you may be eligible for help with the following:

  • Rent or house payments
  • Utility payments
  • Major appliance (Stove/Refrigerator)
  • Car repairs
  • Transportation
  • Tools or clothing for a job
  • Licensing and other job-related fees
  • Child Care initial payments

Families that receive a CalWORKs diversion payment may also be eligible for Medi-Cal, CalFresh, and ongoing CalWORKs Stage 2 or Stage 3 child care assistance.


To be eligible for Diversion Services in San Diego, you must:

  • Apply for CalWORKs
  • Choose Diversion Services rather than CalWORKs
  • Be apparently eligible to CalWORKs (See CalWORKs Eligibility)
  • Be employed or have an offer of employment with ongoing income to meet your family’s needs
  • Provide verification of your job situation, need, identity, and any other verification requested
  • Have a one-time expense that needs to be paid  


To apply for Diversion Services, visit your local Family Resource Center that accepts applications for the CalWORKs program.


For more information call 1-866-262-9881.