Fresh Start: Comprehensive Criminal Record Relief Program
A criminal record can make finding employment, obtaining housing, enrolling in and funding an education, and securing other civic opportunities very difficult. The good news is that there are options for you to move forward, even if you have made mistakes in the past. From reducing felony convictions to misdemeanors to dismissing/expunging your criminal record to getting Certificates of Rehabilitation, the County of San Diego Office of the Public Defender is pleased to help you with your Fresh Start!
Our experienced attorneys will review your criminal history and seek all appropriate methods of relief for you. In order to best advise you on your record relief options, we will obtain a copy of your California Department of Justice Criminal History Report and potentially other court records on your behalf at no cost to you. Click here for general information on the Fresh Start process.
We may be able to assist you with:
· Expungement (Dismissal) of Criminal Convictions
· Prop. 47 Relief (Reclassifying Certain Low Level Felonies to Misdemeanors)
· Prop. 64 Relief (Reclassifying Certain Marijuana Crimes)
· Motions to Reduce Felony Convictions to Misdemeanors
· Motions for Early Termination of Probation
· Human Trafficking Victim Conviction Relief
· Intimate Partner Violence/Sexual Violence Conviction Relief
· Sealing Adult Arrest Records
· Sealing Adult Arrest Records for the Factually Innocent
· Certificates of Rehabilitation/Gubernatorial Pardons
· PC290 Sex Offender Registration Relief
· Correcting Errors in Department of Justice Criminal History Records
Click here for instructions on how to get your criminal history report
· Dismissal Petitions for Successful PC1000 Participants with Collateral Consequences per PC1203.43
· Reinstating a Right to Possess Firearms After a Conviction
To request assistance, please fill out a Fresh Start Request for Assistance form. You may return the form through email, fax, mail, or drop off at the address below.
Office of the Public Defender E-mail: Fresh.Start@sdcounty.ca.gov
Fresh Start Program Fax: (619) 338-4811 (Attn: Fresh Start Program)
451 A Street, Suite 900
San Diego, CA 92101