California Entrance Requirements for Dogs

Pursuant to California Health & Safety Code Section121720, persons bringing dogs into California (e.g., out of state or from international locations) with intent to sell or transfer ownership must have a health certificate completed by a licensed veterinarian within the 10 days prior to the date of importation. Any person seeking to bring a dog into the County of San Diego, from out of state or international locations, shall submit the original health certificate to the County health department at the address below. The receiving party (e.g., pet stores, rescues, owners, breeders) may reject any shipment of dogs that arrive without valid health certificates.   All persons transporting dogs via commercial air should contact the airline for any additional requirements.

The receiving party shall submit the original health certificate (i.e., no copy) for each dog, via mail or in person, to the County health department at:

County of San Diego
Vital Records
P.O. Box 429001
San Diego, CA 92142


Complaints for violations of Health & Safety Code Section 121720 should be directed to your local animal control provider.

In the cities of Carlsbad, Del Mar, Encinitas, San Diego, Santee, and Solana Beach, please contact:

San Diego Humane Society
5500 Gaines Street
San Diego, CA   92110
(619) 299-7012

In the unincorporated areas of the County of San Diego, please contact:

County of San Diego
Department of Animal Services
5480 Gaines Street
San Diego, CA 92110

International Pet Importation

The federal regulations are in addition to the requirements of H&S Code 121720 above.  The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) governs the international importation of dogs and cats.

Please visit the CDC website for more detailed information.

Interstate Pet Exportation

The United States Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals (APHIS Form 7001) is the certificate that California accredited licensed veterinarians complete prior to the interstate exportation of dogs and cats. This form is available here.

For state-specific information regarding the movement of pets from California to other U.S. States or Territories, please visit the California Department of Public Health website

International Pet Exportation

Please visit the USDA website for detailed information about this process.