Healthy Cities, Healthy Residents
The County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency’s (HHSA) Healthy Cities, Healthy Residents (HCHR) project seeks to create healthy communities by supporting community-based organizations (CBOs), residents, and cities in working together to advance healthy and equitable planning, policies, and neighborhood environments.
Project Goals and Activities
The central goals of the project are:
1) to increase CBO capacity to advance policies and to implement environmental changes; and
2) to encourage cities to adopt policies and improve environments to prioritize health.
In partnership with CBOs, local coalitions, and cities, HHSA provides direct funding along with technical assistance in planning and development of policies that support active transportation, healthy food environments, and placemaking. Local HCHR coalitions are:
- Expanding their membership to include more residents and community stakeholders who will champion policy and environmental change in each of the three partnering cities.
- Training residents using the Resident Leadership Academy curriculum or similar leadership model.
- Conducting scans of their city’s local policies and environmental assessments of their community.
- Working with their cities to develop community-driven policies on healthy food systems and active transportation/active living.
- Encouraging decision makers to adopt the policies and implement environmental changes.
- Environmental Health Coalition and the City of National City
- International Rescue Committee and the City of El Cajon
- Vista Community Clinic and the City of Vista
For more information on how Healthy Works is building better health in San Diego County, please visit LiveWellSD.org/HealthyWorks or contact us at (619) 542-4110.
This activity is a program of Live Well San Diego: Healthy Works and is implemented by the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency. Funded by USDA SNAP, an equal opportunity provider and employer. This work supports Live Well San Diego, the County’s vision for a region that is Building Better Health, Living Safely, and Thriving. For more information, visit www.LiveWellSD.org. Visit www.CalFreshHealthyLiving.org for healthy tips.
Webpage last updated 04/15/2020.