Public Health Customer Service
Welcome to the Public Health Services (PHS) Customer Service page. At PHS, we take Customer Service to H.E.A.R.T. through Helpfulness, Expertise, Attentiveness, Respect, and Timeliness. We want to hear from you about:
- Your customer service experience;
- What you appreciated about the service you received;
- Which of our staff went “above and beyond” to serve you; and
- Anything we can do to improve your H.E.A.R.T. experience.
Ensuring a positive customer experience is a County-wide effort.
The PHS effort is led by the department’s H.E.A.R.T. Team that has 1 - 2 representatives from each branch:
- California Children’s Services
- Epidemiology and Immunization Branch, including the Public Health Lab; Vital Records, including Birth and Death Certificates
- HIV, STD and Hepatitis Branch
- Maternal Child and Family Health Services
- PHS Administration, including Community Health Statistics Unit
- Public Health Preparedness and Response
- Tuberculosis Control and Refugee Health Branch
For a list of PHS programs and services see PHS brochure.
PHS officially launched its Customer Service H.E.A.R.T. efforts in January 2014. Each branch kicked off the effort by engaging staff in the 8 Steps of Customer Service training staff and exploring questions such as:
- Who are our Customers?
- What obstacles do they face?
Branches also issued the Customer Service H.E.A.R.T. surveys to clients to offer a way of providing feedback. The survey was first administered September 2015 and has been administered annually ever since. Many branches have also offered surveys and other means of obtaining client feedback throughout the year in clinics and in the field e.g., (Nursing, Social Service Aides).
Feedback you provide through the surveys helps to create annual Branch Customer Service Action Plans to ensure continuous improvement. PHS has also made efforts to train supervisors to better coach their staff on customer service. In addition, PHS has made efforts to recognize staff who provide a positive customer service experience thanks to your input.
Since 2014, PHS has also ensured that staff receive training to ensure a positive customer service experience. For example, all staff have been trained, or in the process of training, on Customer Service, Cultural Competency, Trauma-Informed Services and Resiliency, Mental Health First Aid, Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and more.
All of the staff who works in PHS is committed to the mission of the organization and many take a special pride in being part of the County that is dedicated to serving the public. It is not surprising then to see that PHS consistently scores high in our Customer Service ratings. While we have gotten high marks for customer service, we know that there is always room for improvement. Here are some sample comments from past clients.