- What can the Restaurant Meals Program do for me?
The Restaurant Meals Program allows elderly, disabled and homeless CalFresh recipients to use CalFresh benefits to purchase prepared meals at participating restaurants by using their Golden State Advantage (EBT) card.
- How can I find out if I am eligible for the Restaurant Meals Program?
If you are elderly (age 60 or over), disabled*, or homeless you are eligible to purchase meals at participating restaurants.
*Disabled is defined as:
- Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits, or
- Receiving Railroad Retirement Benefits, or
- Receiving Veteran’s Administration (VA) benefits based on total disability or paid as total by the VA, or
- Approved for and currently receiving Disability Determination Service Division (DDSD) Medi-Cal benefits.
- Do I have to apply for the Restaurant Meals Program?
No, an application is not required. However, you must meet one of the conditions in question #2.
- Will I receive more benefits when I participate in the Restaurant Meals Program?
No, participating in the Restaurant Meals Program will not change your benefit amount. The Restaurant Meals Program allows eligible recipients the option of using their CalFresh benefits at participating restaurants. For information on healthy dining on a budget click here.
- How do I find out if a restaurant is participating in the program?
- After purchasing a meal, do I get a sales receipt showing my CalFresh benefit balance?
Yes, your sales receipt will show the cost of your meal and your CalFresh benefit balance.
- Will I be charged tax or tip if I purchase a meal?
No, the participating restaurants are not allowed to charge tax or tip under the Restaurant Meals Program.
- Can I use my CalFresh benefits to purchase alcohol?
No, you cannot use your CalFresh benefits to purchase alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, or any non-food items.
- If my EBT CalFresh benefit balance is not enough to purchase a meal, can I use my EBT cash benefit to cover the difference for payment?
- What do I do if my EBT CalFresh transaction is denied by a participating restaurant?
- Need more information?
Call 2-1-1 for more information regarding the Restaurant Meals Program.